Find out how hackers can turn even the best home security system against you with a cheap piece of hardware.
In this article:
- Can Your Security System Be Hacked And Used To Spy On You?
- How Hackers Can Spy On You
- What Can We Do?
How Safe Is Your Home Security System Against Hackers?
- 24/7 live stream video in full 1080p HD over Wi-Fi. Check in from anywhere at anytime. Send clips to...
- Night vision featuring 8 high-power infrared LEDs provide light for clear video in the darkest...
- Mobile alerts and notifications let you know as soon as your camera spots activity. Take action or...
Can Your Security System Be Hacked And Used To Spy On You?
Can you trust the home security system you have? Turns out, you really can’t.
Recently, I switched security systems in my home. I quickly switched back when I felt the company controlling my home security system didn’t have my best interest in mind.
Little did I know it wasn’t them I had to worry about!
I have what was supposed to be the cutting edge of security systems for homes. I can control my alarm from my phone.
Also, I can turn lights on and off. I can even control my air-conditioned unit if I am feeling too lazy to get out of bed and change the temperature manually.
This high-tech security camera systems should protect my home and my family. I should feel safe knowing that should anyone enter my home without my permission, both the police and I will be notified.
Does it make any sense my entire security system can be compromised by a single $10 piece of equipment which can be bought on amazon.com?
- 24/7 live video: 130 Degree view shows your home in 1080P HD day and night.
- Weatherproof: Camera cable and adapter are all weatherproof.
- Clear as day even at night: Night vision evenly illuminates the whole scene. See who's at the door...
How Hackers Can Spy On You
An article published on Forbes.com exposed a massive flaw in most major home security systems:
He was able to play around with an ADT system thanks to the graciousness of his girlfriend’s father, who had one at home. The different vendors’ products all had the same problem: legacy wireless communications from the 90s that failed to encrypt or authenticate signals.
He could pick up the signals being sent from sensors on windows and doors to the main control system using a cheap SDR, meaning he could see transmissions from sensors—which are sent even when the system is unarmed—and track when people were opening and closing windows and doors.
With a more sophisticated SDR, he could interfere with transmissions, setting the alarm off falsely by telling it doors were opening when they weren’t or jamming the system so that it wouldn’t go off, even if doors did open. He could do this from 65 to 250 yards away—basically a house over.
Using his methods, a would-be tech-savvy thief could suppress an alarm while going in and out with your stuff; a prankster neighbor could set your alarm off, or someone could monitor when you’re active at the house. At the very least, someone with an SDR could determine based on signals being sent whether you actually have an alarm system, or have just planted a “Protected by ADT” sign in your front yard.
What is SDR? SDR stands for software-defined radio. It is a radio communication system wherein software takes over the tasks of the hardware.
What Can We Do?
We now know, more cameras and surveillance systems do not translate to a more secure place. Even some of the most high-tech and top home security system are susceptible to hacking.
There’s a saying, “Love many but trust few”, which is perfect when it comes to your security. Be reasonably annoying towards your home security system provider and ask questions.
Take advantage of the competition in business. Look for home security system providers with your best interest at heart–who are one step ahead of potential hackers.
In this video, marketplace reveals how hacker uses technology to spy your home and family courtesy of CBC News:
How secure do you feel about your home security system now? Your guess is as good as mine.
Do you think we can still trust home security systems with cameras? Share your thoughts in the comments section below!
- 20 Home Security and Crime Prevention Secrets
- 7 Simple Home Security System Hacks To Save You Time And Money
- Conquering The Cornerstones: Self-Defense – The 4th Pillar Of Survival
For awesome survival gear, you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
Editor’s Note: This article was originally published on August 4, 2014, and has been updated for quality and relevancy
Last update on 2021-10-26 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Environmental Policy FAQs | How to Write an Environmental Policy
- Beginning Preps Home Security [PODCAST]
- How To Prepare For Hyperinflation
- Kubotan | How to Use a Kubotan in 3 Easy Steps
- ZPacks Review | Top 10 Best ZPacks Backpacking and Camping Gear
- Beginning Preps Series Food Storage [PODCAST]
- National Grid Outage | How to Prepare for Power Grid Failure
Cooking5 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping4 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security6 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself8 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification9 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still