Looking for a new way to garden? Transform your survival garden this spring with these great and cost-effective DIY greenhouses!
DIY Greenhouses | Plans for Your Survival Garden
Homemade Greenhouse Ideas
When disasters strike, having a consistent food source should be a priority. You can harvest and regrow the plants you need without having to worry about where to get your next food.
That’s why knowing how to build a DIY greenhouse for cheap is an important skill to have.
There are various greenhouse design ideas you can try to follow and create for yourself. Here are some DIY greenhouse ideas you can recreate for your survival garden.
PVC Pipe Greenhouse
- 1/2″ PVC Pipe – 4 sections
- 1/2″ Corner Elbow Connectors – 4 with 3 ports
- 1/2″ Adapters – 4 Connectors + Adapters
- Primer and PVC Cement
- Long Zip Ties
- Hacksaw or Pipe Cutter
- Plastic Sheeting – 6′ x 6′, 3.5 mil (6 mil is ideal) (Thin clear plastic will not withstand past one season.)
You won’t have to spend more than $25 for this DIY PVC greenhouse. You can find the full instructions for the PVC pipe greenhouse here.
- 3 – 2×4 @ 10 feet long – use on back wall
- 5 – 2×4 @ 12 feet long – use on sides/ridgepole DO NOT CUT)
- 32 – 2×4 @ 8 feet long
- 11 – 12 foot long x 26″ wide standard corrugated plastic greenhouse panels
- 1 – 8 foot long x 26″ wide standard corrugated plastic greenhouse panel (use on door side)
- 3 – 12 foot long tin panels (use on sides and back)
- 1 – 8 foot long tin panel (use on front)
- Tin screws
- 28 – 4′ long ribbing strips
- L flashing (optional for the corners)
Done properly, this DIY greenhouse design can contain several plants for your garden. You can find the full instructions the barn greenhouse here.
Cold Frame Greenhouse
- Old wood frame windows
- Salvage wood 1 x 12. (We used cedar, but any scrap wood would do.)
- Nails or screws
- 2 metal hinges for each frame
- Hammer or screwdriver
Great for small gardening areas! You can grow your seedlings in a compact box that you can put in your yard or windowsill if you don’t have enough space.
You can find full instructions for the cold frame greenhouse here.
Wooden Box Greenhouse
- Plastic or wooden frames
- Cushioning sand
- Galvanized nails
- Traditional glass
- Double wall plastic
- Film plastic
This DIY greenhouse project can be built in a single weekend. This project is a little more time consuming but, the end result is well worth it!
You can find full instructions for the wooden box greenhouse here.
Transform Your Raised Garden Bed into a Poly Tunnel Greenhouse
- 16 C shaped brackets
- 4 12-feet long 7/8″ PVC pipe
- Plastic cover
If you have a garden bed in your backyard, you can build a poly tunnel cover for it for your plants.
You can find full instructions for the poly tunnel greenhouse here.
Check out this simple and sturdy greenhouse from Modern Builds:
DIY greenhouses aren’t just perfect for emergency situations, people who would like to start their own gardens can also make try making one for their backyard. You can get fresh vegetables, fruits, and even herbs from your own garden.
What kind of DIY greenhouses are interested in trying? Share your thoughts in the comments section below.
For even more tips, follow us on Twitter.
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on March 9, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Paracord Projects11 months ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Survival Skills11 months ago
377 Survival Hacks You Should Learn in 2022 | Your Ultimate Survival Life Hacks Guide
Fishing, Hunting, & Trapping9 months ago
Squirrel Snare | How to Make a Snare Trap Step By Step
Personal Safety10 months ago
Invasion Survival Kit | How to Survive a Home Invasion
Emerging Threats8 months ago
How to Survive a Nuclear War: 10 Ways to Stay Alive