When nature calls, a DIY outdoor toilet can really save your tush. Check out our tutorial on how to make your own restroom in the outdoors.
How to Make a DIY Outdoor Toilet
Easy DIY Outdoor Toilet
Looking for outside toilet solutions? This portable toilet for the outdoors is great for a weekend camping trip.
It can also be kept with your emergency preparedness supplies to use in an SHTF survival situation.
- 5-gallon bucket
- Heavy-duty trash bags
- Pool noodle
- Toilet paper
Step 1: Pop the Handle
Pop the handle of the bucket by tugging it a little on the side. Bend the tip of the handle over with a pair of pliers to make the handle a lot easier to connect later on.
- ¼ Gallon (32 oz.) Food Grade, BPA Free buckets
- These translucent food storage buckets are econmical, durable and easy to use
- Lids Included
Step 2: Measure Where to Drill a Utility Hole
Lay the bucket on one side and measure around 3 fingers from the connector port. This is just about the perfect spacing to drill a small utility hole.
Step 3: Use a 3/16″ bit for Drilling
Use a 3/16″ bit and you’ll see it doesn’t actually penetrate the wall and barely goes through the top layer.
- Prince & Spring provides customers with the finest choice in their everyday purchases.A commitment to quality. The finest...
- Designed for your kitchen, office or garden, these Prince & Spring Tall Kitchen (13 Gallon) premium garbage bags provide...
- 50% stronger (and thicker) than the leading national brand - Tear Resistant
Step 4: Secure the Toilet Paper Tube
Thread the open end of the handle through your toilet paper tube until the roll reaches the middle. Lock the handle back in the bucket by pushing the end into the new connector port.
Step 5: Use Heavy Duty Garbage Bags to Line the Bucket
Line the bucket with heavy duty garbage sacks to keep the bucket clean. You should be able to find a perfect fit at your local supermarket.
A trash bag that can hold 8 gallons of waste should be more than enough to meet your needs.
Step 6: Secure the Garbage Bag in Place
Push the garbage bag down into the bucket and secure it in place. Do this by lining the top ridge of the pail the same way you do with a garbage can.
The plastic liner should make a nice and tight fit.
Step 7: Make Foam Padding to Sit On
Make your outdoor experience a little more comfortable. Cut a piece of pool noodle roughly 3 feet long, then cut a clean slit down one side.
This will make a nice foam padding to cushion your backside.
- Pack contains 48 Double Rolls (154 sheets per roll) of Charmin Ultra Strong toilet paper
Step 8: Suspend the Toilet Roll for Easy Use
The toilet paper rubs on the side of the bucket when you try to unroll it. This makes it difficult to use.
To solve this problem, you need to elevate the handle. Drill another small hole slightly offset from the center.
Use a little bungee cord to lift the handle so it suspends the roll away from the bucket.
At this point, your DIY toilet bucket is completely finished and ready for use!https://www.instagram.com/p/Bnzb0JnnoIP/
Check out the full video tutorial in this video by The King of Random:
How easy is this DIY outdoor toilet to make? Very easy!
With just a few materials from your local store, your outdoor toilet needs have never been this comfortable. Make one and have a portable toilet ready anytime you need it!
Did you like our DIY outdoor toilet tutorial? Let us know in the comments section below!
- 8 Outdoor Survival Hacks Using Everyday Items
- DIY Alcohol Stove from a Beer Can
- Building an Outdoor Shower
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in August 2015 and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Last update on 2021-07-24 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- US Alarmed as Saudis Threaten to Expose Secrets [PODCAST]
- Are You Prepared For A Famine In The US?
- Mark of the mRNA Beast [PODCAST]
- 17 Items You Should Buy Monthly to Stay Prepared For An Emergency
- This is the Future We have Chosen [PODCAST]
- 9 Grill Tools Every Grill Master Needs To Have
- CPP Classics – Surviving Riots [PODCAST]
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping1 month ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment2 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency6 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still