5 Natural Ways to Soothe Hay Fever
Allergy Season is in Full Swing, But You Don’t Have to Suffer
30% of the world’s population suffers from allergic rhinitis – more commonly known as hay fever.
What Triggers Hay Fever?
Tree Pollen: Tree pollen is common during the spring season. Pollen grains of trees such as pine, birch, alder, olive, and willow are the most common ones that can bring on symptoms of hay fever.
Grass Pollen: It is estimated that 9 out of 10 sufferers of hay fever are susceptible to grass pollen. The most common grasses that can cause hay fever are ryegrass and timothy.
Weed Pollen: Ragweed, nettle, plantain, mugwort, and sorrel are the most common weeds that produce hay fever causing pollen grains. These pollen grains are almost invisible to the human eye. When they come into contact with the respiratory system of humans, they seemingly produce conditions such as hay fever.
Fungal Pollen: This particular pollen is very common during warm weather.
Hay Fever Symptoms
The symptoms of hay fever are often confused with symptoms of a common cold. Hay fever is characterized by a sudden and fast onset of sneezing – which is different from the common cold.
Other symptoms include:
- Clear and watery nasal discharge
- Frequent attacks of sneezing
- Itching sensation in the nose
- Sore, red, watery, and itchy eyes
- Continuous coughing
- Itchy throat
- Irritability and fatigue
- Hay fever rash
People often turn to over the counter allergy medications which can leave you feeling groggy. I don’t know about you, but I hate that feeling. So, why not try to treat your symptoms naturally?
Here are 5 effective ways to soothe the symptoms of hay fever at home.
Note: The information in this article is for informative purposes only and should not be taken as medical advice.
1. Raw Honey
Consuming 1 to 2 tbsp of raw honey 3-4 times a day is said to get rid of hay fever symptoms in adults and children over the age of 18 months.
Another method is consuming honey with lemon juice.
- Take 1 glass of water – 8-10 oz
- Add 1 tbsp of raw honey and 3 to 4 drops of lemon juice to the water and stir well.
- Drink it immediately.
- Repeat 2-3 times a day to boost up your immune system and get rid of hay fever.
2. Peppermint Tea
Peppermint can relieve you from nasal congestion and related issues. It is known to soothe your mucus membranes, which can provide relief from symptoms of hay fever. Here is how to soothe hay fever with peppermint tea:
- Place a peppermint tea bag into a cup and pour water (that has been brought to boil) over the tea bag.
- Allow the tea bag to steep for about 5-6 minutes.
- Take out the tea bag and add ¼ tsp of honey to upgrade the taste.
- Have this peppermint tea once a day to treat hay fever.
Garlic contains antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that may soothe hay fever. Additionally, it also has antihistamine features.
Chew 2-3 garlic cloves daily to strengthen your immune system and to fight against hay fever.
Another method is garlic soup.
You will need:
- 2-3 chopped garlic cloves
- Water- 1 cup
- Honey- ¼ tsp
- Add the chopped garlic cloves to 1 cup of water and let them boil together for about 10 minutes.
- Add ¼ tsp of honey
- Stir them together, strain the liquid and have it twice a day for 1 week to rid the symptoms of hay fever.
4. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar has properties that restore the essential nutrients of the body. This would in turn aid in substantiating the immune system to fight against the foreign particles. Additionally, it has properties to lessen the symptoms of hay fever by restoring the pH balance in the body.
You will need:
- Organic apple cider vinegar- 1 tbsp
- Lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- Raw honey- ½ tbsp
- Water- 1 glass (8-10 oz)
- Add the organic apple cider vinegar to the glass of water.
- Add the lemon juice and raw honey to the water and mix well.
- Drink this solution 3 times a day to soothe hay fever.
Turmeric is well known for its antiseptic, antioxidant, and anti-inflammatory properties. Turmeric can largely reduce hay fever symptoms. It is also said to get rid of all allergens out of the body, thus promoting a quick recovery from hay fever.
You will need:
- Turmeric- 6 tbsp
- Honey- 6 tbsp
- Combine the 6 tbsp of honey and 6 tbsp of turmeric to form a paste – mix well.
- Eat 1tsp of this paste twice a day.
- Consume this during hay fever season to prevent hay fever.
If you have a home remedy for allergies you would like to share, tell us in the comments below.
Check out these other related articles from us here at Survival Life and our friends at Pioneer Settler:
- Environmental Policy FAQs | How to Write an Environmental Policy
- Beginning Preps Home Security [PODCAST]
- How To Prepare For Hyperinflation
- Kubotan | How to Use a Kubotan in 3 Easy Steps
- ZPacks Review | Top 10 Best ZPacks Backpacking and Camping Gear
- Beginning Preps Series Food Storage [PODCAST]
- National Grid Outage | How to Prepare for Power Grid Failure
Cooking5 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping4 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security6 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself8 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification9 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still