Don’t Be Left in the Dark
When preparing for a power outage, make sure you take the lighting needs of your entire home into account. Some rooms get plenty of natural light throughout the day; others remain near-dark all day long. You should also take into account how much time is spent in each room of your house, and which rooms you use for tasks that will require more light. Pay attention to these things and begin coming up with your own custom lighting plan for a power outage with your specific home and family’s needs in mind.
Here are some tips and things to consider:
- Think about which areas you use the most and the most affective ways to light those areas.
- Stock up on candles — they’re cheap and a great light source.
- Stock up on kerosene or gas lanterns. These can often be found at garage sales.
- Be aware of the dangers of carbon monoxide that can be emitted by lanterns. Use only in well-ventilated areas.
- Stock up on flashlights and extra batteries. Make sure you know which batteries your flashlights require and don’t purchase the wrong kind.
- Avoid opening the fridge and freezer during a power outage.
- Don’t connect your generator to your home’s electrical system.
- Turn off or disconnect any appliances you were using when the power went out to avoid power surge.
The video below, from Survival Common Sense on Youtube, outlines these tips in more detail. Check it out:
Want to know more about preparing for a power outage? Check out these related articles from our site:
- Transform Fear Into Super Human Power [WL 358] [PODCAST]
- Top Best Portable Camping Stoves
- WL 356: 7 Challenges For Tactical Mindset Mastery [PODCAST]
- WL 350: 8 Survival Lessons From The “Soldiers Of The Future” [PODCAST]
- 10 Alternative Energy Sources You Can Use Today
- Best Camping Table Ideas 2021
- 4 Keys To Close Combat “Power Kicking” [PODCAST]
Cooking4 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping3 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security5 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself7 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification8 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still