How is your food supply lately? If you want to make sure your stockpile will last for a long time, these are the best dried and canned foods you should have.
Canned Foods That Will Last You a Long Time
Stocking Up on the Right Type of Food
As the United States stares down the second month of lockdown due to COVID-19, interest in prepping and long-term food storage continues to pique. Politicians and doctors are still recommending that shopping trips be avoided as much as possible. And stores are having trouble restocking their shelves.
Although a pandemic does not instill panic in people that their electricity will go out, or that their source of drinking water will dry up, many Americans are doing their best to stay home and flatten the curve. Those that are taking social distancing seriously are avoiding stores altogether, forcing them to rely on foods with longer shelf lives if they cannot schedule grocery deliveries.
The reality of a worldwide pandemic and the resulting shutdowns happening around the country have opened people’s eyes to the types of emergency situations that could occur at any time. Being prepared for all types of emergencies is a responsible measure to take.
The top needs that you should strive to meet as your stock for future crises are those for food and water. Your basic survival needs must be met first. Luckily, canned and dried foods are highly recommended as having long shelf lives, and many fall into any budget, especially when purchased in bulk.
Some canned and prepackaged foods can last for as long as 30 years if stored properly! So what are the best items to buy?
13 Foods with the Longest Shelf Lives
- Honey – Raw, unfiltered honey is full of nutrients and antibodies and will actually last forever if stored properly. You will want to keep it in a cool, dark place.
- Pasta – Dehydrated pasta can last up to 30 years and makes for a satisfying and comforting meal.
- Beans – Beans also fall into the 30-year category when stored properly. Much like pasta, beans will leave you feeling full for a long time. They are also a great source of protein.
- Carrots – Dehydrated carrots can last for 25 years when stored properly! Vegetables are a critical part of our diets but can be hard to store long-term.
- Powdered Milk – A great source of protein, powdered milk can last for 20 years. However, its nutritional value does decrease over time.
- Instant Coffee – With a shelf life of up to 10 years, be sure to keep some instant coffee in the back of your pantry for a guaranteed pick-me-up.
Other Items Worth Storing
- Corn – Dried corn is another winner with a potential shelf life near 10 years.
- Powdered Eggs – Fresh eggs will only last about a month. But powdered eggs can be used nearly 7 years after you stow them away.
- Lentils & Chickpeas – You can successfully store lentils and chickpeas for about 5 years.
- Canned Cheese – Cheese soup will still be edible after about 5 years.
- Fish – Canned fish like tuna and salmon will last about 3 years before going bad.
- Tomatoes – Canned tomatoes have so many uses, especially with all that pasta you may be hoarding. Since they are good for about 3 years, feel free to stock up.
- Fruit – Canned fruit has a shelf life of about 2 years and is a welcome treat when you’re surviving off of canned foods.
Preppers know that the time to prepare for an emergency is well before it arrives. While you may be late to the game in terms of coronavirus preparation, this is a great lesson for the future.
When storing canned and dehydrated foods for emergency use, be sure to check expiration dates and rotate your stock to ensure you always have edible, nutritious options available to you – no matter what happens.
- Surviving Global Warming [PODCAST]
- Hurricane Hacks Most Don’t Know!
- Back to Basics – Common Threats [PODCAST]
- Back to School Preparation | Prepping for a Safe Schoolyear
- Stages of a Disaster and Trigger Events [PODCAST]
- The Ultimate Pet Survival Kit
- Hurricane Preparedness with Crown Weather [PODCAST]
Cooking2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping2 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification7 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still