Having a stockpile of food will keep you thriving during an emergency or disaster. In most cases, canned and dry foods will last a couple years at most. Although this might suffice for some preppers, freeze dried meals are the ultimate best case scenario. Why? Freeze dried food completely locks out moisture, is fully prepared and has a shelf life of up to 25 years. Yes, 25 years!
This means no more rotating out cans and boxes every couple, checking expiration dates and replenishing food that is no longer good. Let’s be honest, life gets busy and rotating your stockpile can easily get lost in the to-do list. The last thing you want is to attempt replenishing when you hear the warning alert of a possible disaster. Having a weeks worth of freeze dried meals is a wise investment.
Best Ways To Store Your Supply
Freeze dried foods should be kept in a climate control location to maintain freshness. Most cans are sustainable for 25 years and pouches up to 7-30 years (depending on the brand). Because the packaging is vacuum sealed and moisture has no way in, they are safe from bacteria and mold. The weight of freeze dried foods is minimal, making this a very good option when on the move, camping or only able to pack what you can carry.
The most convenient part of these meals is that all you need is a pot and water and voila, a full meal awaits you! Be mindful that many freeze dried meals are pretty high in sodium so drink plenty of water and try to balance the nutrition with low or no sodium foods.
Some of our favorite freeze dried meals include:
- Rice and grains
- Spaghetti with sauce
- Macaroni and cheese
- Nori (seaweed)
- Ration food bars
Top 3 Stockpile Brands
We recommend checking out various brands. Do some taste testing before investing too much. Purchase a pouch or two of different brands to test. This may be more expensive than purchasing in bulk, but you’ll learn what you like. We have a few well known brands that we recommend:
- Mountain House is a very well known and reputable brand with a large variety of meals. When you purchase in bulk, the cost is much more affordable than individually packaged meals. Many enjoy the not overly seasoned taste while others complain of an odd texture. Each meal contains about 10-15 grams of protein which is solid. Mountain House also prides themselves in their 30-year shelf life.The best part in our opinion, they offer desserts. Who doesn’t want dessert in stressful survival situation?
- Good-to-Go is a unique brand that is highly focused on healthy options. They offer meal options for both vegetarian and vegan diets and all of their meals are preservatives and gluten free. This does however come with a cost, as the shelf life is not quite as extensive as Mountain House. Due to the lack of preservatives, these meals have a 4 year shelf life. The meal choices are certainly more limited but since they focus on quality, it is often not complained about by health nuts.
- Backpackers Pantry is another great option for your freeze dried meals. The brand offers healthy options and some desserts. They are known for their tasty variety of meal selection while focusing on quality ingredients. Backpackers Pantry promises MSG free foods and is decently affordable against competitors.
All of these brands are available on Amazon. We encourage you to check out some of the user reviews and if you have experience with any freeze dried meals, share them with our community of preppers!
- Skill Vs Gear [PODCAST]
- Food Rationing [PODCAST]
- What To Own When The Dollar Collapses
- Kevin Estela and the Flip Flop BBQ Guy | Grilling Technique [PODCAST]
- 25 Overlooked Prepping Items [PODCAST]
- Headlamps | The Best Headlamps of 2021
- Pillars of Leadership | Kevin Owens and Silver Star Recipient Sean Kirkwood [PODCAST]
Cooking4 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping4 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security5 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself8 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification9 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still