Aircraft accidents are one of the things most people fear. But how does one survive a crash if it does happen? Well, we’ll soon find out.
How To Survive Aircraft Accidents: Flight or Fright?
Do you know the chance of dying in a commercial plane crash is 1 in 11 million? Surprisingly, studies have shown above 90% of the passengers survived in a plane crash. Just like every mode of transportation, each has its risks. And more often than not, preparation is the key to increasing your chances of survival. Here are a few tips which might help you survive an aircraft accident.
1. Be Prepared
Nobody wants it to happen but we must always prepare for a worst case scenario. The following are some of the things you need to do in the event of aircraft accidents:
- Wear sturdy and comfortable clothing
- Wear sensible shoes like lace-up shoes so it will be easy for you to exit the aircraft and prevent cuts and flammable liquids on your feet
- Sit at the tail end of the aisle nearest the exit which has a 40% higher chance of survival
- Always read the safety card and pay close attention to the pre-flight safety instructions
- Make a mental note on how many seats are there between your seat and the exit
- Always wear your seatbelt
- Consider placing a jacket on your lap which can be used as a heat shield in case of a fire or protect you from the cold if ever you do get out alive
2. Brace! Brace! Brace!
There are two standard brace positions you can take before impact. Mythbusters made a test and suggests the crash force from your body is channeled to the chair in front of you if you’re sitting in the brace position through a series of tests. Crash test dummies were also used in some studies on the brace position and prove that it will save your life. Keep your feet well behind your knees to protect your legs. You will need them to bring you to the nearest exit. Keep this position until the plane has come to a standstill.
3. Act Fast
Forget your luggage and exit the plane as fast as you can. Studies show the actual impact is not what kills most of the passengers but what happens afterward like being burned to death or drowning. Research also shows you have about 90 seconds to exit the plane.
4. Follow The Floor Lights
If the cabin fills up with smoke, you should stay low to the floor. Cover your mouth and nose with a cloth, if possible a wet one. You wouldn’t want to pass out due to smoke inhalation. Clear air is at the bottom part of the fuselage while the smoke and the heat are at the top end. Crawl your way out by following the floor lights to the exit.
5. Inflate Later Not Now
Don’t inflate your lifejacket while you’re still in the plane. Should it start to fill up with water, you will have a hard time swimming out and end up drowning. This is because the jacket will force you up towards the roof and keep you trapped.
6. Get As Far Away As Possible
Once out, you need to get upwind and be at least 500 feet from the aircraft. This will keep you from getting smothered in the smoke, heat from the fire and inhaling toxic chemicals.
7. Check Yourself For Injuries And Stay Put If Possible
Apply first aid procedures to any cuts, abrasions, broken bones and other injuries if you have the knowledge to do so. Refrain from moving too much if you have internal injuries so as to aggravate it.
Research and statistical data have been made over the years taken from previous aircraft accidents or plane crashes. No one can predict how a plane will crash and where it is going to occur. But one thing is for sure, if you don’t prepare for it, you might just end up dead. Just follow these few easy tips and you might just come out of it alive. Maybe taking up a few lessons on learning survival skills and probably bringing a survival kit with you might up the chances of surviving until rescue arrives.
Do you have any more tips to share? Please don’t hesitate to place them in the comments below.
Here is an article on 377 survival hacks and skills which might come in handy in a disaster situation.
Disclaimer: All content on this site is for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer here.
- Rural vs Urban Prepping [PODCAST]
- 31 Clever Camping Food Hacks | Easy Ideas, Cool Gadgets, Meal Prep
- The Benefits of Having a Camping Lantern
- Camping Holidays – Advantages and Disadvantages
- Prepper Mistakes | Why Survivalists DIE [PODCAST]
- 7 Best Bear Spray For Self-Defense
- Transform Fear Into Super Human Power [WL 358] [PODCAST]
Cooking4 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping3 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security5 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself7 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification8 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still