Would you run or fight for your life? This is the question that most people ask when confronted by a wild animal. Incidents of wild animal attacks are rare, but it is always better to be safe. Always keep a safe distance because most of the time they begin to be aggressive when they feel threatened. But in the event that you find yourself in a dangerous situation, then the list below will help you get through and come out alive.
Wild Animal Attacks Are Dangerous. Be Prepared!
Wild animal attacks are very uncommon. In fact, domestic pets such as dogs are much more of a danger. But any wildlife animal’s behavior can be unpredictable. Each and every animal reacts differently to human interaction and the general rule of thumb is to be aware of the signs and be prepared at all times. Usually, these animals only attack when their peace is disturbed or when they feel that you are a threat to them. So in the situation that you’re about to be attacked, you need to know what to do to get out alive. Check out this list of wild animals and how to defend yourself from their ferocious attack.
Moutain lions are the most elusive of wild cats so getting attacked by this beast is extremely rare. But we cannot be too complacent, that’s why safety should always be in mind. Here are things that you need to do when you’re in a mountain lion territory.
- Avoid hiking alone because solitary hikers are more likely to be attacked than in a group.
- Keep the children close and never let them fall behind on a trail
- Stand your ground because these cats don’t want to attack prey that will fight back
- Make yourself look big and scary by waving your arms
- Fight back by throwing stones or using bear or pepper spray
Bears are usually a threat only when they’re protecting their cubs or when they are surprised. Yes, I know, they look cute and cuddly but don’t be fooled by their calm demeanor because they can be godless killing-creatures. Remember that scene from the Revenant? Below are the things you need to do when you encounter this beast. A tactical pen like the Hoffman Richter Tactical Pen can come in handy just in case. Buy one here.
- Carry bear pepper spray. They are your first line of defense.
- Don’t run because the bear might think you’re prey and will continue chasing you and take note, these bears are fast runners. It is better to stand your ground
- Drop in a fetal position and cover the back of your neck with your hands. If after using the pepper spray the bear continues to attack hit the ground immediately and curl into the said position.
- Play dead. If these Grizzlies think that you’re dead then they won’t think that you’re threatening.
Tip: Grizzlies are known for waiting if their victim will move and get back up, so it’s better to continue playing dead until the bear is gone.
- Carry bear pepper spray
- Make a lot of noise while standing your ground. There are episodes that a black bear bluffs when attacking. Show them that you mean business and they might just lose interest.
- Don’t climb a tree because these bears are excellent climbers. Climbing a tree won’t do you any good. They can also take down trees if they’re strong enough.
- Fight back when the bear attacks. Use anything as a weapon such as rock, sticks or anything you can get your hands on. You can also use your fist or your teeth and bite back. Hit the bear in the face particularly the eyes and the snout. When these bears see that the victim is willing to fight to the death, they give up more often than not.
Snakes rarely attack humans. They are shy and non-confrontational creatures that would always choose to escape rather than to fight. They will only attack if they are threatened and surprised, just like most wild animals. But it is always better to be safe than sorry. Here are the things that you need to do if ever you found yourself in the presence of this reptile:
- Be alert at all times to avoid an encounter
- Don’t panic. When you encounter a venomous snake, it will not attack you unless it is provoked.
- Stand still, change direction or slowly walk away and be aware of the signs that it might strike
- If it’s moving towards you, stamp your feet on the ground to create vibrations. Fend off the snake with a stick and it while back away
- Immediately fend off the snake with your snake stick when it approaches you
- Stay calm when the snake circles you around. It may not attempt to constrict you if you’re calm. If you struggle, this will just prompt the snake to squeeze you.
- Breathe easy. The snake will constrict you tighter if you breathe heavily.
- Grab the snake’s head then pull it backward to unwind the coil.
Wolves and Wild Dogs
Breaking News Alert: Let’s face it Twitter and Facebook hate Conservatives. We need to ban together more than ever. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard. We Will Not Suppress Your Political Content! Join Today!
Wolves are one of the most dangerous and powerful predators on this planet. More often than not, they don’t show aggression towards people and avoid human interaction as much as possible. Nonetheless, it’s always wise to be prepared especially when you find yourself in wolf territory. Here are the things that you need to keep in mind:
- DON’T RUN! Stay calm as mush as possible. If you run, this will make you look like prey, which is a bad thing. Remember, wolves are hunters and they can run faster than you.
- Don’t “stare the animal down” because it will look like a threat.
- Don’t turn your back on the wolves. Back away slowly while facing the wolf.
- Make yourself appear scary and keep acting aggressively. You can shout, throw stones, raise your arms over your head.
- Don’t look frightened or fall, this will encourage an attack.
- Fight back and fend it off with sticks, rocks, bear spray or anything that you have.
- If things get really awful, curl into a ball and protect your face.
These gators are ambush hunters where they camouflage in water with only their eyes scrutinizing above the surface. They patiently wait for something to swim or walk by then immediately lunge at a speed not lower than 20 mph. Such a powerful creature with deadly intentions. Below are the things that you need to know when you encounter this brutal beast:
- Avoid these attacks by keeping your arms and legs where these creatures thrive.
- Run! You can always outrun these gators when you’re on land. They are not made for running after their prey.
- Stay calm and fight back. Attack the animal’s eyes, head, and mouth.
Sharks rarely attack but when they do, it can cause severe injuries or be even fatal. Staying out of shark’s territory is the surest way to keep out in harm’s way. But when you find yourself in shark-infested waters and in the event of an imminent attack, here are the things you need to do:
- Don’t panic. Don’t splash around because you’re just going to excite and encourage the shark’s interest.
- Maintain eye contact at all times.
- Get into a defensive position. Dive near the shore or look for a reef at the bottom of the ocean.
- Fight back by hitting the face, nose, and the gills of the shark. If you have a spear gun or any sharp object use it. Inflict much pain as possible to drive the shark away. Hit the eyes repeatedly until the shark swims away.
Some people see gorillas as violent brutes. But actually, gorillas are not violent creatures. It is possible to encounter a gorilla and come out unharmed. More often than not, gorilla violence is directed towards other gorillas. But in the event that you’re in King Kong’s kingdom, here are the things that you need to know.
- Evaluate the gorilla’s behavior –a stressed gorilla will make a lot noise– pound, jump and slap the ground before it attacks.
- Behave submissively and do not look directly at the gorilla. Never challenge them.
- Do not shout and remain passive and quiet until the gorilla loses its interest.
Watch this video for more info on how to save your life when wild animals attack!
How you react to a certain situation, especially when a wild animal attacks, depends on your knowledge and experience. Hunters and outdoor enthusiasts must always be armed not only with weapons but also with knowing how to deal with these ferocious, savage brutes. Provoking and challenging these beasts is a recipe for disaster. Penny for thoughts? Tell us what you think about this list by dropping your two cents in the comments below.
Looking for more ways to defend yourself against wild animals? Check it here!
Featured Image via Wikimedia Commons
- A Complete Guide To Campfire Cooking
- How to Survive an Avalanche | Emergency Preparedness
- New Year Tips | Survival Tips To Help You Ease Into 2021
- Walking On Ice Safety Tips | Winter Survival Safety Tips
- How To Melt Snow For Survival | 5 Ways
- Christmas Survival Guide | How to Survive Christmas
- BNA Guide to Coronavirus State Restrictions
Alternative Energy11 months ago
An Emergency Candle That Noah Would Be Proud Of
Do It Yourself4 months ago
82 Uses for Paracord That Will Surprise You
Do It Yourself11 months ago
A SHTF Plan For Your Pets | Bugging Out With Man’s Best Friend
Prepper Supplies2 months ago
Survival Gift Guide: Awesome Christmas Gifts for Preppers
Archives4 months ago
Hurricane Survival Tips: How to Survive Natural Disasters