Some people may want to stand out when it comes to their fashion sense. However, when there are dangerous protests or mass gathering, you’d want to blend in easily. Here’s how to become the Gray Man and do just that.
Becoming the Gray Man
For many years, I have been reading articles about becoming a Gray Man. You may have been wondering why people are preparing for something like this.
Now, we are looking at a profoundly serious situation where who you are and what you believe can really dictate your level of safety when you are in certain groups of people. Just imagine wearing a ruby red MAGA hat and walk through an Antifa or BLM protest at dusk. Things are going to get bad for you, quickly.
Blending in is quite simple if you have the right things on hand
Your Gray Man Kit
While many people like the idea of dressing each day as an inconspicuous gray man, I enjoy wearing shirts and hats with emblems on them. I like being an individual. I think that is true about most Americans. Also, we don’t like the idea of people or situations being so messed up that we literally must regulate what we wear.
To mitigate this, you can create a simple grey man kit:
- The Hat Depot WASHED LOW PROFILE COTTON BASEBALL CAP - This adorable and classic cap is perfect cap for anywhere you go....
- PREMIUM QUALITY - The 100% cotton make it, cozy and comfortable for the perfect fit, especially for daily activities. So,...
- ONE SIZE FITS MOST - The Hat Depot washed low profile cotton baseball cap, Cute & Comfortable Fit. Crown - measures 5"H,...
One of the quickest ways to jump into grey man status is to have a plain earth tone hat on. Something with a nice, curved brim that covers a bit of your face. These hats are cheap and easy to find. Start building your kit with one of these hats.
You can swap out another hat, disguise your hair, or even help disguise your gender if these things are necessary.
- Moisture wicking keeps you cool and dry
- Taped neck and shoulders for durability; Tubular rib collar for better stretch and recovery
- Feels soft to the touch; Tag free; Lays flat
Americans wear their emotions, hobbies, and passions on their T-shirts. We are living through a time where this kind of expression can be dangerous if you find yourself in a mob or in an area where you are a standout. The fact is we cannot be sure about the level of safety across the nation anymore.
White, grey, and black tee shirts can be bought for cheap and rolled down very slowly. This is the second part of your grey man kit.
You should have at least one piece in your kit that allows you to go “gray” in the weather. A simple stasher jacket can go over your larger sweatshirt or winter coat and black you out in a crowd. If you are looking to disappear in a crowd you can do that easily by throwing on an olive-drab (OD) green or black stasher jacket.
This will also help you in the cold or rain.
There is one standout benefit in all this pandemic madness that adds to the grey man kit. Never before have we been able to walk around with half of our face covered.
Now, we are mandated to be covered up so take that into consideration and use it to your advantage. The mask can do a lot to shield who you are in a situation where you are trying to blend in with protesters.
- PROTECT YOUR EYES WITH STYLE We created our polarized sunglasses to PROTECT your eyes while you are out under the harmful...
- BE MORE RELAXED EVERY DAY Those sunglasses come with top rated POLARIZED LENSES that we tested over time. Polarization...
- SEE THE WORLD IN ITS TRUE COLORS The HD polarized lens of our mens sunglasses offer TRUE COLOR PERCEPTION because of the...
Since you have a mask and you can cover up the majority of your face, you might as well carry a pair of sunglasses in your kit, too! If you can imagine a hat with sunglasses and a face mask, you would be about as unrecognizable as can be.
While the things you wear can have a strong effect on becoming a Gray Man, how you behave is just as important to your mission. You must become the crowd or the town or city in which you are traveling. You must carry yourself like those around you.
If you are walking down a busy New York City street, you better not be the guy who is on a leisurely stroll or you will stand out like a sore thumb. Conversely, if you are taking an evening stroll down Bourbon Street in Louisiana, then you shouldn’t be moving at some breakneck pace.
How you behave as a Gray Man can often be one of the biggest means of blending in. Even someone who may not be dressed the part can certainly fit in by how they talk and act in the crowd.
Don’t Forget Your Purpose
Becoming the Gray Man requires thought. It is about a lot more than just the type of backpack you carry. If you are planning on entering a new area or a dangerous area and attempting to blend in, you should do your due diligence.
Do some research on where you are going and the types of people who live there. Be able to speak to local issues, events, and sports. Also, do some research on popular places that are around the area. It all pays off.
The final note on this subject is to not enjoy it too much! Get out of harm’s way as quickly as possible, no matter how good at being the Gray man you are!
Have you tried becoming a Gray Man before? Share with us your tips on how to seamlessly blend in a crowd in the comments section!
- Urban Survival Tactic: How To Become A Gray Man
- Art of Concealment | How To Make A Camouflage Suit
- How To Practice Leave No Trace Camping
Last update on 2021-05-15 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Sibling Miniseries #1: Naima and Leah [PODCAST]
- Sea Survival | Why Floating Is Better Than Swimming?
- Crushed in an Erupting Volcano [PODCAST]
- 3 Lashing Methods You Can Use To Tie Wood Together
- Kevin Estela and Jon Bliss Talk Gear They Can’t Live Without [PODCAST]
- 14 Must Have’s for Car Emergency Kit
- Urban Homestead Radio Episode 107: Growing Soil + Water Wise [PODCAST]
Do It Yourself3 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency4 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still
Do It Yourself3 months ago
Knifemaking: Make A Knife From An Old Wrench
Do It Yourself7 months ago
82 Uses for Paracord That Will Surprise You
Alternative Energy2 months ago
DIY Solar-Powered Cellphone Charger