When you need to remove ticks, it can be anything from a minor annoyance or a major problem. Most ticks that get into our homes come from pets, dogs and cats in particular. It is important to check your pet for parasites and remove ticks as soon as possible. If you find a tick biting your skin, remove it immediately.
How To Remove Ticks | A Quick Fix For Ticks
1. Use Pointed Tweezers
You will need pointed tweezers to make sure you have a good grip on the tick without crushing the head or leaving parts of it on your skin.
2. Grasp the Tick as Close to the Skin as Possible
Try to get as close to the tick’s head as possible, and then press firmly. This will ensure that you get the whole tick out.
No products found.
3. Pull the Tick Up Slowly and Steadily
Slow and steady does it when you are trying to remove ticks. Pulling it out too fast might result in breaking the tick in half, leaving the head secured to your skin.
- ★ FREE STANDARD SHIPPING! – Do not need Prime Membership & no minimum order cost. Only apply to...
- ★ HEALTHY& PLEASANT! – Made from fine and flexible pins, this flea comb is effective for...
- ★ HIGH QUALITY! – With improved ergonomic handle and high quality pins. These dog and cat flea...
3. Do Not Jerk or Twist
Twisting and turning the tick around when pulling it out is a huge no-no. Doing so might break apart the tick before you pull it out completely.
No products found.
4. Clean the Bite Area
Finally, once the bugger has been successfully pulled out, it’s time to clean and disinfect the wound. Use soap and warm water, then rub some alcohol on it to disinfect.
Effects of Ticks and Fleas
Ticks are annoying, and that is reason enough for tick removal. However, there are certain infections and tick-borne illnesses that you might suffer from a bite. Therefore, removing a tick should be a high priority once you experience the following symptoms:
- pain or swelling on bite site
- burning sensation on bite site
- difficulty breathing
These are just some basic allergic reactions to tick bites. However, the following symptoms might indicate something more that came with the bite:
- full body rash
- stiff neck
- lethargy and weakness
- muscle or joint pain
- swelling of lymph nodes
When you experience these symptoms, head to a certified medical professional as soon as you remove the ticks from your body.
How To Prevent Ticks
Ticks can be found worldwide. You might even bring some home from vacation. In the U.S., for example, the South, Midwest, and even California is home to many ticks. You will also find that your bug-out locations will host ticks as well. Tick-borne diseases are prevalent here, so be sure to take the following precautions before your trip:
- Stock DEET, permethrin, or picaridin
- Use light-colored protective clothing outdoors
- Tuck your pants into your socks
- Avoid known tick hotspots
- Check yourself (and your companions) for ticks daily, and remove asap.
The TickEncounter Resource Center has a step-by-step video on how to remove a tick:
Tick removal is a responsibility a survivalist should never ignore. These little critters can spread infection and tick-borne illnesses without a second thought – it’s just their nature. And it’s not just your pet that’s in danger. Therefore, make sure you keep alert for these little buggers. It may just save your life.
How do you take care of tick bites? Let us know in the comments section.
Editor’s note: This post has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Last update on 2021-10-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Survival Medicine Podcast: Radiation/Nuclear Events [PODCAST]
- Environmental Policy FAQs | How to Write an Environmental Policy
- Beginning Preps Home Security [PODCAST]
- How To Prepare For Hyperinflation
- Kubotan | How to Use a Kubotan in 3 Easy Steps
- ZPacks Review | Top 10 Best ZPacks Backpacking and Camping Gear
- Beginning Preps Series Food Storage [PODCAST]
Cooking5 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping4 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security6 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself8 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification9 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still