Proper food storage is a tricky business, but an integral part of long term survival. If you have the right food storage container in the wrong conditions, or the wrong container in the right conditions, everything can go awry. Knowing how to properly store your food can prevent food-borne illnesses and bacteria, freezer burns, and premature spoiling of food.
There are so many factors to consider when storing your food, but let’s start with a few essential food storage containers:
Flip Tite Canisters
These stackable containers are perfect for your food storage, as they efficiently use your storage space. The lids provide an airtight seal to keep your perishable foods fresh.
Ball Mason Jars
There is a reason these glass food storage jars have been used for over a hundred years. The rubber ring on the inside of the lid seals onto the rim of the jar during processing. Mason jars are great for both dry foods and canning.
Mylar storage bags create an oxygen barrier to protect food for long term food storage. They can also be heat sealed, to keep for an extended period of time.
Reusing and recycling these empty pill bottles provides great storage for medicine, vitamins and herbs. Just be sure to dispose of the contents first!
Long Term Food Storage Tips
Now that you know what food storage containers to use, maximize the lifetime of your food supply with these tips:
- Keep food in dark, dry, cool areas.
- Wrap perishable foods tightly in plastic bags or sealed containers
- Throw out cans that are swollen, dented, corroded or outdated.
- Place new supplies in the back of storage and older items in the front to avoid spoiling any food.
- Label everything with the date it was purchased and date it will expire.
- Empty all open packages into an airtight container.
- First, use perishable food from the refrigerator, pantry, or garden. Then, you may use foods from the freezer.
- To limit the number of times you open the freezer door, post a list of freezer contents on it.
See more storage tips at FEMA.
Food Storage Lifeline
Check out this infographic on how long each storage method keeps your food fresh:
Want more food storage tips? Check out these articles:
Like this post?
Be sure to like us on Facebook so you can be the first to know about latest survival tips and off the grid living skills.
- 050 Bug Out Locations – A Preppers Paradise [PODCAST]
- 25 Ways To Get Clean Drinking Water In An Emergency
- 049 Prepper Teens – Give them a Freakin Job Already [PODCAST]
- List of Things NOT To Do When SHTF | Prepping for SHTF
- 051 World’s End Apothecary – The Doc is In [PODCAST]
- Staying Cool in The Summer While Hunting in The Woods
- 5 Things You Should Never Do When Camping Alone
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping1 month ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency6 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still