How do you write a powerful environmental policy? You need to start by understanding the basics first. Here’s a practical guide in creating one from scratch:
RELATED: Chemical Spills: Cleanup On Aisle 5…
Environmental Policy Writing 101
Why Is Environmental Policy Important?
It is important because it helps to keep the environment safer for everyone. It works by guiding the government’s plans and actions based on how they affect the environment.
What Is the Main Goal of An Environmental Policy?
An environmental policy aims to protect the natural system and thus human welfare. To achieve this, regulate the use of resources and reduce pollution.
What Is a Good Environmental Policy?
Contents may differ but a good environmental policy should meet the general criteria. Manageability and the use of accurate data are key factors in attaining this.
What Should an Environmental Policy Include?
Though there are no standard contents, the most common are:
- Organizational aims and principles
- Organizational objectives
- Commitment to improving environmental performance
- Recognition of compliance with relevant environmental laws
- Commitment to relay environmental aims to staff, clients, investors, and stockholders.
RELATED: What Is Sustainability?
What are Basic Tips in Writing an Environmental Policy?
1. Create an Environmental Policy Checklist
Making a checklist is an efficient method to draft an environmental policy. Below are examples of points to consider in writing such a checklist:
- Compliance with environmental laws and codes of practice
- Assessment of the environmental impact of historic, recent, and future operations
- Continuous aim to improve environmental performance
- Focus on comprehensive environmental concerns and issues
2. Introduce Yourself and What You Do
Obvious as it may seem, it is surprising how many organizations overlook this simple step. Think of this as your elevator pitch in which you can grab the attention of procurement bodies.
3. Start with a Short Outline
Begin your environmental policy with a brief organizational outline. Include its track record and current activities
4. Present Your Goal, Aim, and Commitment
This helps in recognizing the organization’s impact in achieving its goals. This will also help fine-tune your plans and decision to attainable goals.
5. State Actions You Aim to Achieve with Your Goal
Based on your goal, aim, and commitment, present actions you plan to make in a specific time frame. Ensure that these activities are realistic.
6. Highlight Your Achievements
Include certifications and awards to give your policy more edge. Using facts and figures is also a compelling way to underscore your accomplishments.
7. State Your Compliance with Environmental Laws
Familiarize yourself with environmental regulations that could make an impact on your organization. Be direct and clear in stating your adherence to these legislations.
8. Communicate the Environmental Policy to Your Staff and Clients
Be explicit in stating how you will communicate the policy to your staff and clients. Include the policy in the staff’s handbook and display it on the organization’s website.
9. State the Definite Review Schedule
Outdated policies may put your organization at risk. The best practice is to have your policy reviewed every year.
An effective environmental policy is crucial. It should strike the balance between environmental protection and policies like economic growth. This consideration will determine the success of your organization’s policy.
What are simple things that we can do to save the environment? Let’s keep the Earth green by sharing your thoughts in the comment section below!
- Sustainable Survival – Making ‘Off-The-Grid’ as Green as Possible
- Sustainable Electric Power
- Hydroelectric Survival – Harnessing Earth’s Most Powerful Fluid
Calling all preppers, craftsmen, bushmasters, outdoorsmen, and all-around skilled people, Survival Life needs YOU! Click here if you want to write for us.
Paracord Projects2 months ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Paracord Projects4 months ago
How To Make Paracord Survival Bracelets | DIY Survival Prepping
Medical Care4 months ago
21 Home Remedies For Toothache Pain Relief
Do It Yourself5 months ago
Survival DIY: How To Melt Aluminum Cans For Casting
Knife Laws3 months ago
Are Switchblades Legal? Knife Laws By State