As you’ve probably heard by now, a magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit Napa Valley, California in the early morning hours this past Sunday.
Such an event should serve as a reminder that disaster can strike at any time, unexpectedly. That’s why you always have to be prepared for the worst.
Earthquakes tend to happen more frequently in certain areas (California is a hotspot), but the truth is they can happen anywhere.
While earthquakes are hard to predict, there are precautions and steps you can take to keep yourself and your family safe. Check out the excerpt below, and be sure to read the full article for a complete list of earthquake safety tips.
How to Prepare for an Earthquake?
- Know where you are at all times and how to get out of the building. This is more important if you are in a strange place like a hotel in another city.
- Select a safe place in your home for everyone to wait out the earthquake if needed
- Practice earthquake drills with your family
- Keep flashlights and sturdy shoes available.
- Bolt gas appliances to walls (water heater, oven, dryers)
- Know how to shut off the gas in your house and have the proper tools on hand if you need to do this.
- Keep emergency supplies/bug out bags in a safe location.
- Have a plan for power outages before you are faced with one.
Earthquakes are one of several natural disasters that can affect just about anyone, no matter where you live.
You may not be able to control the damage caused by an earthquake, but knowing what to expect, how to prepare, and what to do when the earthquake hits can help you prevent a fate much worse than damaged property.
So learn what to do, take the proper precautions, and be confident in your knowledge.
Be safe out there!
Do you have any tips that you’d like to share for surviving in an earthquake?
Leave a comment below to let us know.
Want more tips? Check out these related articles:
- Rural vs Urban Prepping [PODCAST]
- 31 Clever Camping Food Hacks | Easy Ideas, Cool Gadgets, Meal Prep
- The Benefits of Having a Camping Lantern
- Camping Holidays – Advantages and Disadvantages
- Prepper Mistakes | Why Survivalists DIE [PODCAST]
- 7 Best Bear Spray For Self-Defense
- Transform Fear Into Super Human Power [WL 358] [PODCAST]
Cooking4 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping3 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security5 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself7 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification8 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still