As you’ve probably heard by now, a magnitude 6.0 earthquake hit Napa Valley, California in the early morning hours this past Sunday.
Such an event should serve as a reminder that disaster can strike at any time, unexpectedly. That’s why you always have to be prepared for the worst.
Earthquakes tend to happen more frequently in certain areas (California is a hotspot), but the truth is they can happen anywhere.
While earthquakes are hard to predict, there are precautions and steps you can take to keep yourself and your family safe. Check out the excerpt below, and be sure to read the full article for a complete list of earthquake safety tips.
How to Prepare for an Earthquake?
- Know where you are at all times and how to get out of the building. This is more important if you are in a strange place like a hotel in another city.
- Select a safe place in your home for everyone to wait out the earthquake if needed
- Practice earthquake drills with your family
- Keep flashlights and sturdy shoes available.
- Bolt gas appliances to walls (water heater, oven, dryers)
- Know how to shut off the gas in your house and have the proper tools on hand if you need to do this.
- Keep emergency supplies/bug out bags in a safe location.
- Have a plan for power outages before you are faced with one.
Earthquakes are one of several natural disasters that can affect just about anyone, no matter where you live.
You may not be able to control the damage caused by an earthquake, but knowing what to expect, how to prepare, and what to do when the earthquake hits can help you prevent a fate much worse than damaged property.
So learn what to do, take the proper precautions, and be confident in your knowledge.
Be safe out there!
Do you have any tips that you’d like to share for surviving in an earthquake?
Leave a comment below to let us know.
- What About The CIA Central Intelligence Agency [PODCAST]
- Survival Medicine Podcast: Cold Water Safety, Gloves, Wound Infections, Nursing [PODCAST]
- Invasion Survival Kit | How to Survive a Home Invasion
- The New Prepper Checklist [PODCAST]
- Mindless Banter 79 – Q&A [PODCAST]
- First Aid Kit Buyer’s Guide
Paracord Projects1 week ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Survival Skills3 weeks ago
377 Survival Hacks You Should Learn in 2022 | Your Ultimate Survival Life Hacks Guide
Natural Disasters3 months ago
Flood Survival Tips | How To Survive Before, During, And After A Flood
Personal Safety2 days ago
Invasion Survival Kit | How to Survive a Home Invasion
Food Preservation3 months ago
Hidden Stockpile | Reloading Your Stockpile After Thanksgiving