Ancient Egyptians were the first people known to use a rudimentary version of baking soda called Natron.
Over the last few hundred years, Natron has been purified and synthesized down to the familiar baking soda we know today.
Since it’s discovery the name may have changed but it’s uses have not. it has been used for thousands of years as a cleaning product for both the home and body.
Blended with oil, it was a very early form of soap.
It softens water while removing oil and grease.
It was used a cleanser for the teeth and an early mouthwash.
It was also an ancient household insecticide, was used for making leather and as a bleach for clothing.
If anything we have only found more and more uses for this handy powder. It is inexpensive and you already keep in your fridge or pantry, but so few people realize just how versatile baking soda really is.
Check out below to see just a few ways you can use this powder and save yourself a little green while you’re at it:
1. Clean a microwave oven. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, scrub, and rinse.
2. Remove tarnish from silver. Mix a thick paste of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda with water, apply the silver with a damp sponge, rub, rinse, and buff dry.
3. Clean a stainless steel sink. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, scrub the sink, and rinse clean.
4. Boost the strength of liquid laundry detergent. Add one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda with the usual amount of detergent in your regular wash cycle.
5. Clean a fiberglass bathtub or shower. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, scrub, and rinse clean.
6. Clean bathroom tile. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, scrub, and rinse clean.
7. Maintain your septic tank. Flush one cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda down the toilet once a week. Baking soda helps maintain proper pH and alkalinity, controlling sulfide odors.
8. Deodorize cloth diapers. Mix one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in two quarts of water, and soak diapers in the solution. This also works to deodorize those nasty diaper pails. Just sprinkle a good amount in the pail and the odor should clear up.
9. Clean a refrigerator. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, scrub, and rinse clean.
10. Deodorize garbage disposals and sink drains. Instead of throwing out that old box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda that’s been sitting in the refrigerator or freezer, gradually pour it down the drain and flush with water. Or better yet, pour two tablespoons Arm & Hammer Baking Soda down the garbage disposal every week.
11. Deodorize a dishwasher. Sprinkle one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on the bottom of the dishwasher between loads.
12. Boost the strength of Dishwashing Liquid. Add two full tablespoons Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to the usual amount of detergent you use.
13. Remove burnt-on food from cookware. Dampen area, sprinkle with Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, let soak overnight, then scrub with a sponge, rinse, and dry.
14. Clean and deodorize a cutting board. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, rub the cutting board, and rinse clean.
15. Deodorize food containers. Mix one-quarter cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda with one quart water, swish food containers in solution, soak overnight, and then rinse clean.
16. Clean coffee and teapots. Wash in a solution of one-quarter cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and one quart warm water, then rinse clean.
17. Deodorize kitchen garbage. Sprinkle a handful of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in the garbage pail each time you add garbage.
18. Deodorize carpet. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda lightly over the dry carpet, let sit for fifteen minutes, and then vacuum up.
19. Deodorize a cat litter box. Cover the bottom of the litter box with one-quarter inch Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, and then add the litter.
20. Soothe poison ivy rash or insect bites. Make a paste of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and water, and apply to the affected area.
21. Soothe insect bites. Make a paste of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda and water, and apply to the affected area.
22. Soothe sunburn, windburn, and prickly heat. Dissolve one-half cup baking soda in a tepid bath. Soak in the bath for fifteen minutes.
23. Take a refreshing bath. Dissolve one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in a tub of warm water for soft, smooth-feeling skin and a relaxing bath.
24. Brush your teeth. Plain baking soda is a gentle abrasive that cleans like the strongest toothpaste. Apply Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to a damp toothbrush, brush as usual, and rinse. Note: Arm & Hammer Baking Soda does not contain fluoride.
25. Wash your mouth. Add one teaspoon Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to one-half glass warm water, and swish through teeth for a refreshing mouthwash.
26. Reduce heartburn. Dissolve a spoonful of baking soda into a glass of water and drink, the acid neutralizing properties of baking soda should help with heartburn.
27. Neutralize vomit odor. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda generously to cover the stained area, let sit for an hour, then vacuum up.
28. Soothe tired feet. Add three tablespoons to a basin of warm water and soak feet in the solution.
29. Use as a deodorant. Dust baking soda under arms.
30. Clean dirt, grime, and scuff marks from doors, stoves, laminated tabletops, linoleum floors, and tile. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, wipe clean, and dry.
31. Remove coffee or tea stains from china. Dip a damp cloth in baking soda, gently rub the china, and rinse clean.
32. Minimize the smell of dirty laundry. Sprinkle some baking soda into your hamper or laundry bag.
33. Deodorize a closet. Place an open box of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a shelf.
34. Deodorize garment storage bags. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda into the bottom of the bag.
35. Deodorize shoes or sneakers. In the evening, sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda inside shoes to eliminate odors. Shake out in the morning.
36. Remove crayon marks from walls or wallpaper. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, scrub gently to avoid mussing the paint or wallpaper, then wipe clean.
37. Clean dirt and grime from hands. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda onto wet hands with liquid soap, rub vigorously, rinse, and dry.
38. Remove conditioner and styling gel build-up from hair. Wash hair once a week with a tablespoon of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda mixed with your regular shampoo; rinse thoroughly, then condition and style as usual.
39. Refresh stuffed animals. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on the stuffed animal, let sit for fifteen minutes, and then brush off.
40. Clean high chairs, car seats, strollers, and plastic mattress protectors. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, wipe clean, and dry.
41. Clean baby bottles, nipples, and bottle brushes. Soak in a solution of warm water and Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, then sterilize before use.
42. Make baby clothes smell even fresher. Add one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to baby’s laundry.
43. Boost bleach. Use one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda with your normal liquid bleach. This will help boost the bleaching action and freshen the wash.
44. Brighten dingy white laundry. Add one-half cup Arm & Hammer Baking Soda to regular liquid laundry detergent.
45. Clean up pet accidents. Clean with club soda, let dry thoroughly, then sprinkle on Arm & Hammer Baking Soda, allow to sit for fifteen minutes, and then vacuum up.
46. Deodorize pet bedding. Sprinkle bedding liberally with baking soda and allow to sit for 30 minutes. Take out side and shake out or beat it like you would a rug.
47. Clean chrome bumpers and hubcaps. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, rub surface, and wipe clean with a dry cloth.
48. Remove dead insects from a car or truck windshield. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on a damp sponge, clean glass, and wipe clean with a dry cloth.
49. Get rid of “wet dog” smell. Rub baking soda thoroughly through the pets fur and it should soak up the smell.
50. De- skunk fido. Rub baking soda over the animal to help effectively remove the skunk smell. This also works for any unfortunate person who gets skunked.
51. Deodorize carpeting in a car. Sprinkle Arm & Hammer Baking Soda on the carpet, let sit for fifteen minutes, and then vacuum up.
52. De-grease and clean barbecue grills. Make a paste by mixing equal parts Arm &Hammer Baking Soda and water, apply with a wire brush, wipe clean, and dry with a cloth.
53. Clear a clogged drain. Empty one-half cup baking soda down the drain, followed by one-half cup white vinegar. Cover the drain and let mixture stand for a few minutes. Then pour a pot of boiling water down the drain. The baking soda and vinegar dissolve fatty acids, allowing the clog to wash down the drain.
Want to know more? Check out these articles from our site:
- 050 Bug Out Locations – A Preppers Paradise [PODCAST]
- 25 Ways To Get Clean Drinking Water In An Emergency
- 049 Prepper Teens – Give them a Freakin Job Already [PODCAST]
- List of Things NOT To Do When SHTF | Prepping for SHTF
- 051 World’s End Apothecary – The Doc is In [PODCAST]
- Staying Cool in The Summer While Hunting in The Woods
- 5 Things You Should Never Do When Camping Alone
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping1 month ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency6 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still