Accidents happen. For those of us that rough it out on our own in the wild, we know all too well that this is a potential reality we face every day. Any good survival man or woman knows that it is best to over-prepared for anything that might come your way in the wild. Stay prepared whether it be weather-related, animal incidents, or making sure that you’ve got the appropriate materials to enact vital survival techniques.
7 Survival Techniques
Read on to discover 7 quick and easy hacks that could save your life:
1. If you’re ever in need of light, or even a little bit of extra warmth, grab an empty soda can and cut out the sides. Place a lit candle inside the can, ensuring that the light will be reflected. This allows not only for more visibility, but it offers additional protection from the elements as well, making for a longer-lasting nighttime glow.
2. In need of a clean water source, but no fresh river in sight? What you’ll need here is a piece of cloth and two containers. One container will remain empty, and the other will contain your unclean water source. Dip one end of the cloth into the dirty water container, and let the other dangle into the second empty container. Soon enough, you’ll be amazed to discover you have filtered and muck-free water. (Remember to boil it afterwards, though!)
3. Need some quick and easy cooking with little to no effort? All you need to do is grab an empty egg carton and some charcoal. Pack the charcoal into the egg slots and seal up the carton. Light a corner of the container, and you’ve got a homemade grill that’s ready to cook anything from hot dogs, boiling water, to s'mores!
4. Mosquitoes getting the better of you? A quick combination of household herbs is sure to do the trick and cure you of that itch. While you’ve got your egg-carton grill fired up, drop some basil leaves or rosemary onto the top. Mosquitoes can’t stand the smell and will steer clear far away, leaving you to enjoy your freshly cooked meal.
5. You can never have too many cooking appliances when you’re roughing it outdoors. Let’s add a makeshift solar oven to your culinary collection. Grab an empty cereal box and cut out a fold. Use aluminum foil to wrap the inside of the box and add some additional foil to the top as well. Place any food that needs cooking inside and shut the lid. Give it a few minutes and lift the flap to reveal your solar-charged food (works great on a grilled cheese sandwich!)
6. When SHTF, you may not always have access to your iPhone GPS. Rely on some old-school methods to help point you home. Grab a small piece of metal, such as a needle, and rub it against your clothing several times (a cotton T-shirt works best). Place the needle on a leaf and float it in some water in a bowl. The needle with always point you north. It sounds insane, but it works every time!
7. Finally, if you’re needing a source of heat and light a little more substantial than the soda-can candle, grab another empty Coke can and fill it about halfway with olive oil. Next, find a paper towel and roll it up just a bit, with the top sticking out. Place it into the can and light, and you’ve got yourself a homemade oil lamp. This will last you for hours, whether you’re pitching a tent in the dark or just wanting a reading lamp to pass some time.
To The Point:
These quick survival techniques are all easy to achieve with regular household items and can really help you out in a pinch. Whether or not you were ever in the Scouts, remember the motto: always be prepared!
If you're looking for useful survival gear that you can't make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
Paracord Projects3 months ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Paracord Projects2 months ago
How To Make Paracord Survival Bracelets | DIY Survival Prepping
Medical Care2 months ago
21 Home Remedies For Toothache Pain Relief
Do It Yourself3 months ago
Survival DIY: How To Melt Aluminum Cans For Casting
Featured Articles1 year ago
Drought Survival Tips: How to Survive Drought
SIGN UP NOW
Enter for a chance to WIN a pair of these Tactical Boots when you sign up today for our exclusive email newsletter subscription.
GET YOUR VERTICAL GARDENING REPORT TODAY!
Simply fill-out the form below and subscribe to our weekly newsletter. We strive to help people of all experience levels take steps towards happier, healthier, and more holistic lives with a natural and thoughtful approach to a safer and more effective way of living.
Simply fill-out the form below and subscribe to our weekly newsletter.