Bread, beans, rice, casseroles, hot dogs, burgers, desserts, even a whole Thanksgiving turkey…
Would you believe me if I told you that all these things and more can be cooked with only the power and heat of the sun?
Sounds crazy, right? But with a solar oven, it’s possible.
How Do Solar Ovens Work?
A solar oven, (also called a solar cooker or sun oven) uses the heat and energy of direct sunlight to cook food.
Solar ovens rely on four basic concepts to cook food. Once you understand these concepts, you’ll have a good understanding of how solar cooking works and realize that it’s really quite simple.
- Concentrating Sunlight: The solar oven uses a reflective surface (such as a mirror or shiny metal) to attract and concentrate sunlight onto a small surface. This is where the solar oven gets its power.
- Converting Light to Heat: A non-reflective, dark surface inside the solar oven absorbs sunlight to create an environment hot enough to cook food.
- Trapping Heat: An airtight container inside the solar oven traps the heat so that the food can cook. Since the solar oven is so efficient at turning light into heat, it can be used on cold days just as well as hot days.
- The Greenhouse Effect: Have you ever gotten into your car on a cold but sunny day and found that your car was hot inside? This is due to the greenhouse effect, where rays of light shine through a clear surface and are trapped inside and converted to heat. This is the principle that allows plants to grow inside a greenhouse even in winter (hence the name), and it’s what allows the solar oven to cook your food.
Solar ovens come in all shapes, sizes, styles, and price points, but every one of them works by using these four basic concepts.
Benefits of Solar Cooking
At first glance, solar cooking might seem like an old-school, inconvenient way to do things. I mean, isn’t it slow? And why would I want to use a solar oven when I’ve got a real oven and a microwave right in my kitchen?
In fact, there are tons of reasons why you should consider trying a solar oven. For example:
- It’s cheap. Aside from the initial cost of the oven itself, solar cooking is virtually free.
- It’s environmentally friendly. Solar cooking uses a renewable energy source — the sun — and cuts down on energy consumption.
- It’s portable. A solar oven can be used just about anywhere, and most are small enough to be transported easily.
- It’s safe. With a solar oven, you never have to worry about starting a fire or inhaling harmful smoke.
- It’s healthy. Cooking food slowly in more moderate temperatures helps preserve nutrients.
- It’s SHTF-ready. In a power grid failure or other disaster, a solar oven will allow you to still cook meat and other food without electricity.
These are just a few of the benefits provided by a solar oven. To see more, click here.
Homemade vs. Commercial Solar Ovens
Like I said earlier, there are all kinds of solar ovens out there, and you can even make your own. Here’s a great video showing the construction and use of a homemade and commercial solar oven:
Whether commercial or homemade, a solar oven is a must-have survival tool. They’re not just great for camping or cooking outside, they’re vital for survival during a long-term power outage or other SHTF situation.
Editors Note: These ovens are fantastic to have on hand but are hard to come by. I’veIf you want to get your hands on an exclusive package, made just for the Survival Life Community. Please click the link below:
Breaking News Alert: Let’s face it Twitter and Facebook hate Conservatives. We need to ban together more than ever. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard. We Will Not Suppress Your Political Content! Join Today!
I have a very personal reason for putting this kit together and I want to share it with you.
So please Watch This short presentation and see exactly why solar cooking is so important to me (and why it should be important to you as well)
Please act quickly, I was only able to put a few of these together and I don’t know if I will ever be able to get them again.
Want to know more? Check out these related articles:
- Winter First Aid Guide | Surviving The Cold Weather
- Best Ham Radio | Top Choices To Amateur Radios You Can Use
- Ice Fishing 101 | Everything You Need To Know
- 9 Steps To Make Your Home Impenetrable
- Lockpicking | How To Pick A Lock And Tools You Can Use For Lockpicking
- 15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
- 5 Ways How Bolt Cutters Can Be Useful During Emergencies
Do It Yourself7 days ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency1 month ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still
Do It Yourself3 weeks ago
Knifemaking: Make A Knife From An Old Wrench
Do It Yourself5 months ago
82 Uses for Paracord That Will Surprise You
Do It Yourself12 months ago
A SHTF Plan For Your Pets | Bugging Out With Man’s Best Friend