Self-sufficiency skills or homesteading skills, these set of skills will give you the means to survive in any survival situation.
In this article:
- Food Preparation Skills
- Canning Homegrown Produce
- Prepare Wheat Without Grinder
- Baking Your Own Bread
- Baking Without Oven
- Preparing Raw Milk
- Making Butter
- Making Homemade Cheese
- Making Yogurt
- Making Preserves
- Freezing To Preserve Food
- Cooking Food From Scratch
- Making Pancakes From Scratch
- Making Meat Stock From Scratch
- Planning Meals According To What’s In-Season
- Cooking With Cast Iron Skillet
- Freezing Herbs
- Stocking Dried Herbs And Spices
- Make Homemade Starter Dough
- Make Your Own Smokehouse
- Vacuum Sealing
- Brewing Drinks
- Tapping Maple Trees
- Make Your Own Homemade Vinegar
- Canning Tomatoes
- Dehydrating Fruits And Veggies
Self-Sufficiency Skills Every Prepper Must Be Equipped With
— This post is courtesy of homesteading.com and shared with permission —
To be an ultimate homesteader requires a set of homesteading skills essential for success.
Homestead living, off-grid living, or self-sufficient living is flat-out challenging. But getting to know these practical homesteading skills will save you from half the trouble of this amazing journey.
Check this list for the homesteading skills you might be missing and get working!
Food Preparation Skills
1. Canning Homegrown Produce
2. Prepare Wheat Without Grinder
3. Baking Your Own Bread
4. Baking Without Oven
5. Preparing Raw Milk
6. Making Butter
7. Making Homemade Cheese
Breaking News Alert: Let’s face it Twitter and Facebook hate Conservatives. We need to ban together more than ever. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard. We Will Not Suppress Your Political Content! Join Today!
8. Making Yogurt
9. Making Preserves
10. Freezing To Preserve Food
— MotherNatureNetwork (@MotherNatureNet) August 13, 2015
Not all foods store either by canning or dehydrating. Freezing food is another food preservation technique. A certified homesteader has a few tricks up their sleeves.
11. Cooking Food From Scratch
12. Making Pancakes From Scratch
13. Making Meat Stock From Scratch
14. Planning Meals According To What’s In-Season
You can easily have too many fruits and veggies in season. Plan your meals and add variety in preparing your dishes with your produce.
15. Cooking With Cast Iron Skillet
— Homesteading (@HomesteadingUSA) March 1, 2017
16. Freezing Herbs
17. Stocking Dried Herbs And Spices
18. Make Homemade Starter Dough
19. Make Your Own Smokehouse
20. Vacuum Sealing
Your food will easily go bad if you don’t seal it properly. Learn the art of vacuum sealing so you don’t waste any. The more food preservation techniques you have up your sleeve, the better for homestead survival.
21. Brewing Drinks
22. Tapping Maple Trees
23. Make Your Own Homemade Vinegar
24. Canning Tomatoes
— Maria (@loves_biscotti) September 26, 2017
When tomatoes fruit, you know they fruit good more than you can handle. Luckily, canned tomatoes are a staple at home, I keep a steady supply of homemade ones.
25. Dehydrating Fruits And Veggies
Want to see the full list? Check it out here at homesteading.com!
Self-sufficiency skills are essential if you’re preparing for homesteading, living off the grid, or preparing for an SHTF scenario. Becoming a full-fledged homesteader or transitioning to self-sufficient farm living is a learning process.
You have to learn how to be self-sufficient and hone those self-sufficient skills you already have. Just like other major life decisions, the choice to be self-sufficient might be a shock at first.
Using the wisdom and knowledge of self-sufficiency skills of others who have done it can help.
Do you have any other self-sufficiency skills in mind you can add to this set? We would like to know about it in the comments section below!
- Top Survival Skills | Learn Now, Survive Later
- 43 Survival Food Items That Actually Taste Good
- Primitive Skills | How To Sight In A Slingshot And Score An Easy Meal
If you’re looking for useful survival gear that you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
***Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.***
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on August 3, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
- 20 Edible Wild Plants You Can Forage For Survival
- 5 Ways How Bolt Cutters Can Be Useful During Emergencies
- How To Turn Your Bug Out Bag Into A Minimalist Backpack
- Best Ham Radio | Top Choices To Amateur Radios You Can Use
- 9 Prepper Supply Items You Can Buy At Costco
- Winter First Aid Guide | Surviving The Cold Weather
- Ice Fishing 101 | Everything You Need To Know
Do It Yourself2 weeks ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency2 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still
Do It Yourself4 weeks ago
Knifemaking: Make A Knife From An Old Wrench
Do It Yourself5 months ago
82 Uses for Paracord That Will Surprise You
Knife Reviews2 months ago
Survival Knives | Ultimate List