Food. It’s the first thing most people think about in a survival situation. “I’ve got to find something to eat!”
Maybe it’s because we’re so accustomed to eating regularly throughout the day and our stomachs remind us when it’s getting close to mealtime. Maybe it’s a comfort activity; something that can be done to preserve a sense of normalcy in a situation that seems beyond our control. Whatever the reason, food is the first thing that most people think about in survival.
In reality, there are much more important things to worry about. If you recall the Rule of Three you know that air, shelter, water come first.
Nevertheless, you’ve got to eat sometime so carrying a lightweight, nutritious meal with you that can provide a bit of warmth on the inside is a good idea. It’ll help give you boost of energy and lift the spirits.
Instant Oatmeal: It’s All Good
You heard the axiom “Store what you eat and eat what you store.” They are words to prep by. That’s why one of the items I like to carry with me in my 72 hour kits is instant oatmeal.
- Lightweight. With some foods, you’re carrying around a lot of extra weight in the form of liquid. Not with instant oatmeal. It’s lightweight and easy to carry.
- Nutritious. One packet of instant oatmeal contains 20% of most of the FDA’s Recommended Daily Allowance of vitamins and minerals like Vitamin A, Iron, and Folic Acid. (Not that I put a lot of stock in the FDA’s recommendations, but that’s another story.)
- Servings. Since instant oatmeal is packaged in individual servings, it’s easy to carry and use only what you need.
- Preparation. It’s easy to make instant oatmeal. If you can boil water, you can make instant oatmeal.
- Packaging. The packaging is flammable. That can come in handy when you are trying to start a fire in the wilderness.
Featured Articles9 months ago
Drought Survival Tips: How to Survive Drought
Emerging Threats10 months ago
How to Survive a Nuclear War: 10 Ways to Stay Alive
Building10 months ago
How to Build Bomb Shelter | 15 Steps on How to Build a Bomb Shelter
Fishing, Hunting, & Trapping11 months ago
Squirrel Snare | How to Make a Snare Trap Step By Step
Preparedness10 months ago
6 Tips to Mentally Prepare for SHTF Situations: End of the World Preparation