Do It Yourself
Wilderness DIY: How to Make Your Own Bushcraft Camp Chair
A DIY camp chair is a great solution when you don’t have a chair on hand! Check out this tutorial to learn how to make your own.
RELATED: 9 Unique DIY Homesteading Projects
Bushcraft Camp Chair | A Step-by-Step Tutorial
If you find yourself stuck in the wilderness with no chair on hand, this DIY camp chair is an excellent solution. Making your own camp chair in the middle of the forest is possible because everything you need is readily available around.
What You’ll Need:
- A tree to attach the chair to
- Three Y-branches
- Batoned wood for the seat and crossbars
- Bankline cordage
- Rock for hammering
How to Make a Bushcraft Camp Chair:
- Start by attaching 2 of the Y-branches using a bankline. A paracord would probably work better.
- Put a loop in the bankline and leave a 6-inch tail, then run the mainline back into the loop to create another loop.
- Slide that over the top. Tie it down as tight as you can. Wrap it about 6 times or more so that you won’t fall to the ground.
- Cut off the cordage.
- Frap the cordage you just wrapped. (In other words, go through the middle and around your cordage.)
- Take the tag line and finish off with some survival knots.
- Use a long piece of wood for the crossbar. Put it on top of the Y-branches (the chair’s legs).
- Make a hole for the legs to make sure the seat of the chair will be flat and level.
- If it’s not flat, get a piece of rock to pound the leg down into the ground.
- Tie the crossbar to each leg, alternating on the inside and outside the Y several times.
- Do the same on the other side.
- Use longer sticks to connect the front legs to the Y-branch at the back of the chair/tree.
- See to it that they’re also relatively flat. Hammer the Y-branch into the ground if needed.
- Tie them together securely.
- Same in the back.
- Now it’s time to put the sticks on top of the crossbars for the seat.
- Just like the rest, tie the sticks on. It won’t take much to hold them in place.
- As you can see, it’s not a masterpiece but it’s a good place to sit.
- The last and final step is to test if the chair can support you. Sit squarely on it the way you would on a regular chair. If you want to test it for strength, put all your weight on the seat.
Check this video from Black Owl Outdoors and find out how to craft a bushcraft chair:
We hope this detailed tutorial in making a camp chair helps you on your next wilderness trip. Try to make your own DIY bushcraft camp chair so you won’t have to bring one.
This will help you practice your outdoor survival tactics plus gives you the satisfaction of enjoying something you build with your own hands!
Have you tried making a DIY camp chair before? Share your experience with us in the comments section below!
- 10 Best Winter Camping Gear To Keep You Warm On Your Adventures
- Survival DIY: How To Melt Aluminum Cans For Casting
- How To Use A Picture Frame For Hidden Gun Storage
Calling all preppers, craftsmen, bushmasters, outdoorsmen, and all-around skilled people, Survival Life needs YOU! Click here if you want to write for us.
Don’t forget to stay connected with us on Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram!
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published in May 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Leave a Reply
Paracord Projects1 year ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Featured Articles1 year ago
Drought Survival Tips: How to Survive Drought
Emerging Threats1 year ago
How to Survive a Nuclear War: 10 Ways to Stay Alive
Survival Skills1 year ago
377 Survival Hacks You Should Learn in 2022 | Your Ultimate Survival Life Hacks Guide
Building1 year ago
How to Build Bomb Shelter | 15 Steps on How to Build a Bomb Shelter
December 23, 2016 at 8:58 PM
Pingback: YouTube Survival Skills Videos You Can Learn At Home | Survival Life
Pingback: Bulletproof Bushcraft On a Budget
Pingback: Bulletproof Bushcraft On a Budget - Survive!
Pingback: » Bulletproof Bushcraft On a Budget
Pingback: 29 YouTube Survival Skills that Could Save Your Life | Survival Life
Pingback: How To Make A Ghillie Suit From Scratch | Survival Life
Pingback: How To Make A Ghillie Suit From Scratch – Ultimate Survival Alerts
Pingback: How To Make A Ghillie Suit From Scratch
Pingback: Wilderness DIY: How to Make Your Own Bushcraft Camp Chair – Nature Travel Destinations And Camping 2020
Pingback: Wilderness DIY: How to Make Your Own Bushcraft Camp Chair – Bushcraft Camping & Nature Travel Destinations
Pingback: How to Make Your Own Bushcraft Camp Chair – The Self-Sufficient Life
February 19, 2021 at 7:29 AM
Might have been useful with some pictures.
Pingback: 20 Edible Wild Plants You Can Forage For Survival | Survival Go Bag
Pingback: Joining Wood with Dowels | 10 Easy Steps to Join Wood with Dowels - Survivalnomics
Pingback: Joining Wood with Dowels | 10 Easy Steps to Join Wood with Dowels - Cooking in Quarantine