The current technology available to people today made the volume of cyber attacks increase, that’s why we need to be extra vigilant and responsible whenever we access the web.
Cyber Attacks: Living Through Digital Life’s Threats
Getting hacked by a cyber attacker is something nobody wants. Stolen information and security breaches on your bank account are real threats that can be avoided. If it does happen are you capable of recovering from it? Here are a few tips that can help you keep cyber hacks at bay and keeping your digital life intact.
1. Start Investing In Security and Protection Measures
You can either get those free trial programs online or invest in a more elaborate security program that will protect your passwords and all your data. This may cost you but it is well worth the investment compared to losing all your personal data. Not to mention your money.
2. Be Proactive
The best solution is not to give a cyber attacker any loopholes in your system. Here are a few tips you should follow:
- Install or beef up on antivirus and malware on your computer.
- Avoid unauthorized and inappropriate use of your computer system.
- Ensure you have a uniquely strong password.
- Avoid using the same password for different applications.
- A two-factor authentication logging process will ask you to enter a code using your smartphone other than the website to confirm your identity.
- Be wary when installing apps by reading the permissions it asks for access information.
- Double check the app publisher prior to installing an app.
- Don’t clink or open attachments and links on emails.
- Never give away personal info via email or phone unless you’re absolutely certain.
- Avoid using untrustworthy thumb and hard drives.
3. Backup Personal Files
Keep a copy of all vital files on your hard drive and cloud. This way you will still have a backup copy should it be damaged or hacked.
4. Put Someone In Charge
This is for company-based computer systems. He or she will be in charge of deterring and quickly containing cyber attacks to reduce reputational and financial damage.
5. Develop An Incident Response Plan
Identify possible scenarios wherein a cyber attack could and may occur. After which, you should make a written checklist for each scenario for a shorter and more accurate response time.
6. Be On The Alert
Identify, understand and determine the scope of intrusion. If you can identify the attacker the better your chances of preventing such an attack from happening again and making them liable for their actions. You can then perform the following actions:
- Preserving evidence.
- Securing your computer network.
- Investigating the cause or point of entry.
- Recovery and follow-up.
- Identify vulnerabilities and implement appropriate improvements.
7. Public Announcement And Relations
At this point, any possible damage has already been done to a certain number of people and companies. Come up with a desirable announcement as soon as possible and apologize for the inconvenience it has caused. Bring back their confidence and loyalty by addressing any concerns.
8. Reporting To Law Enforcement
Any cyber attack, no matter what the depth of the attack may be, should be reported to the proper authorities. It’s vital we make the hacker liable for his actions to prevent any future attacks. There are government agencies that hold jurisdiction for cyber crimes.
Watch this video by lsit2it on 25 of the biggest cyber attacks in history:
There are various ways a cyber attacker can perform its attacks on different social and internet sites. The best solution is prevention. Once damage has been done, you may or may not be able to recuperate from the damages done. Be responsible whenever you access the web.
Do you have any other tips for battling cyber attacks? Please add them in the comments below!
You may also want to read on how the ISIS is trying to hack the US power grid!
The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.
Featured image via fbi.gov
- 050 Bug Out Locations – A Preppers Paradise [PODCAST]
- 049 Prepper Teens – Give them a Freakin Job Already [PODCAST]
- List of Things NOT To Do When SHTF | Prepping for SHTF
- 051 World’s End Apothecary – The Doc is In [PODCAST]
- Staying Cool in The Summer While Hunting in The Woods
- US Alarmed as Saudis Threaten to Expose Secrets [PODCAST]
- Are You Prepared For A Famine In The US?
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping1 month ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency6 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still