Learn building evacuation and survival with these tips and evacuation kit checklist!
In this article:
This Building Evacuation Kit Will Get You Out Safely
High-Rise Buildings Evacuation Plan and Procedure
By now, you’re aware of survival in all scenarios, including urban settings. In fact, the 9/11 tragedy brought us an awareness like no other urban disaster did.
We also know disasters like earthquakes, fire, and even man-made can occur without warning. Thus, the increased vigilance, especially among preppers, should the inevitable happens.
You don’t want to find yourself helpless in a high-rise building emergency situation. So, you need to be aware of a building’s evacuation plans, as well as the tools to help you bust out into safety.
Rightly so, most buildings have an emergency exit plan and evacuation procedures leading people to safer areas. In fact, there are management posts with floor indications guiding residents to the exits.
So when you’re in a high-rise building and an emergency situation occurs, the first thing you need to do is evacuate. But, if this initial plan fails, people need an emergency kit to get them through the situation.
To tell the truth, your evacuation training goes out the window most times even as soon as that alarm sounds. Thus, having a building evacuation kit is a lifesaver.
A kit with emergency items can make a big difference in surviving out of a high-rise building, indeed. On that note, here are the things you need for your building evacuation kit…
Building Evacuation Kit Checklist
1. Work Gloves
As a matter of fact, having durable work gloves helps protect your hands in the event of an emergency. That’s because broken glass and other sharp objects can liter a disaster area and hurt you in these situations.
You might also encounter hot door handles and live wires. It will be indeed difficult to use other items on this list if your hands get injured.
- Textured, breathable spandex shell
- Synthetic palm
- Spandex reinforced thumb and saddle
2. Pry Tool
A pry tool is one of the most important things you need to have in a building evacuation kit because of jammed doors or fallen debris. Since your main goal for evacuation is to get out while tackling possible blocked exits, a pry tool is important.
In fact, having a pry tool can help you open malfunctioning doors and break glass if needed. It can also help you remove debris that blocks your path to safety.
- High quality materials: Zacro 18 in 1 Professional Opening Pry Tool Repair Kit is made of high quality materials, strong and...
- Easy to use and easy to operate: Flexible suction cups and crowbars can help you split the screen very conveniently, and can...
- Good quality pry tool: A necessary repair tool at home.
Finding your way out will be even easier if you can still use both of your hands for other things like a pry tool or when helping someone in need. Thus, headlamps are important because they can light your path to safety while using both your hands for other tasks.
4. Safety Goggles
It can be really hard to see the way when smoke gets in your eyes. That is why having safety goggles with anti-fog and anti-scratch coating in your building evacuation kit is also favorable.
They can protect your eyes both from smoke and any kind of debris, so you can make your way out of the premises, safely.
- DEWALT tough Coat hard coated lens provides tough protection against scratches
- DEWALT Xtra clear anti-fog lens coating provides tough protection against fogging
- Soft, dual injected rubber conforms to the face to provide a high level protection from dust and debris
5. Fire Blankets
One of the essentials you must not forget in your building evacuation kit is a fire blanket. Essentially, it can also help you get out safely in the event of a fire.
You can put out a fire or easily douse the flame when an individual’s clothes catch fire, too. These blankets are also strong enough to transport someone by putting, dragging or lifting them to safety.
Fire Blanket Definition: This is a safety device used to extinguish fire. Made of fire retardant material, a fire blanket is placed over the fire to stop it.
- VARIOUS PLACES TO USE: Emergency survival fire blanket ideal for the kitchen, fireplace, grill, car, camping and so on
- EXTINGUISH VARIOUS FIRES: Extinguish various types of fire by suffocating it, including liquid and grease fire
- KEEP YOUR FAMILY SAFE: Can be used to wrap around your body and act as a heat shield
6. Signaling Device
When escape is impossible, you need a signaling device so someone can rescue you immediately. It isn’t wise to shout at the top of your lungs for help, especially if you need to conserve oxygen and energy.
A whistle is then the practical option because it’s lightweight and easy to use. You can use also a flare and wave it outside the window to signal for help and alert rescuers of your location.
Of course, you can use what you deem is necessary for the situation and what is available.
- LOUDER: 130dB attack alarm with push button activation and concealed OFF button
- PURSE / BAG / KEY RING CLIP: Key ring with purse / bag / backpack clip - the ultimate personal protection alarm to carry on...
- BACK-UP WHISTLE : Backup emergency manual whistle built-in for emergency use in case of battery failure
A bandana is just a small, light item, but it is a significant part of any emergency kit because it can help you out in a time of crisis. You can use it as a sling, a tourniquet, a bandage, and a dust or smoke mask that can aid in your respiration.
Not only that, but you can also use it to signal others who might be searching for you.
Watch this video from Tech Insider so you can find out the quickest way to get out of a high-rise in emergency situations:
In the end, your presence of mind, calm and collected manner on top of your survival know-how will help you survive an emergency situation. At any rate, these building evacuation kit and tips will also play a major role in your survival.
So, don’t think twice about making your own evacuation kit at home or at work because safety must always be a top priority!
Do you have other items you wish to add to this building evacuation kit? Share us your list in the comments section below!
Up Next: What Is Urban Survival Syndrome?
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on January 13, 2018, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Last update on 2021-08-02 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- Hurricane Preparedness with Crown Weather [PODCAST]
- 050 Bug Out Locations – A Preppers Paradise [PODCAST]
- 25 Ways To Get Clean Drinking Water In An Emergency
- 049 Prepper Teens – Give them a Freakin Job Already [PODCAST]
- List of Things NOT To Do When SHTF | Prepping for SHTF
- 051 World’s End Apothecary – The Doc is In [PODCAST]
- Staying Cool in The Summer While Hunting in The Woods
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping2 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency7 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still