It’s important to have a plan when it comes to your emergency food supply.
Stocking up can be tricky, especially when considering all of the different aspects to your supply.
With this post, we look into some common mistakes to avoid, a list of what to have and how long it will last, and finally how much of everything you need to have.
From what to have to how to keep it, you need to be in know when it comes to effectively preparing a food supply.
Read on to get stocked up!
First, what not to do:
Survival Foods/Items To Have
Survival Food that adds flavor & comfort: These four foods can be stored for over 10 years and are a great way to add a little bit of flavor to your cooking. If stored properly they can probably last indefinitely.
- Sugar – Brown or White
- Raw Honey
- Alcohol – Whiskey, Vodka, etc…
Hard Grains: Stored properly hard grains have a shelf life of around 10 – 12 years.
- Dry Corn
- Hard Red Wheat
- Soft White Wheat
- Durum wheat
Soft grains: These soft grains will last around 8 years at 70 degrees sealed without oxygen.
- Oat Groats,
Beans: Sealed and kept away from oxygen the following beans can last for around 8 – 10 years.
- Pinto Beans
- Kidney Beans
- Lima Beans
- Adzuki Beans
- Garbanzo Beans
- Mung Beans
- Black Turtle Beans
- Blackeye Beans
Flours and Mixes and Pastas: 5 – 8 years
- All Purpose Flour
- White Flour
- Whole Wheat Flour
- White Rice ( up to 10 years)
- Coconut oil – Coconut oil has one of the longest shelf lives of any kind of oil. It can last for over 2 years and is a great item to add to your survival food supply list.
Other good survival foods: 2 – 5 years of shelf life
- Canned Tuna
- Canned Meats
- Canned Vegetables & Fruits
- Peanut Butter
- Ramen Noodles – not the greatest food in the world but they are very cheap so they made the survival food list.
- Hard Candy
- Powdered milk
- Dried herbs and spices
Items that can be used for more than cooking:
- Apple Cider Vinegar – Cleaning, cooking, and has antibiotic properties
- Baking Soda – Cleaning, cooking, etc…
- Honey – Mentioned again for its antibiotic properties and wound healing.
Non Food Items to stock up on at the grocery store:
- Bic Lighters
- Toilet Paper
- Bottled Water
- Lighter fluid
- Canning Supplies
Stocking Up: How Much To Have
Want more tips? Check out these great articles on our site:
- Skill Vs Gear [PODCAST]
- Food Rationing [PODCAST]
- What To Own When The Dollar Collapses
- Kevin Estela and the Flip Flop BBQ Guy | Grilling Technique [PODCAST]
- 25 Overlooked Prepping Items [PODCAST]
- Headlamps | The Best Headlamps of 2021
- Pillars of Leadership | Kevin Owens and Silver Star Recipient Sean Kirkwood [PODCAST]
Cooking4 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping4 months ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Security5 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself8 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Water Purification9 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still