The best way to prepare for a bear attack is to make sure you keep those towering beasts as far away from you as possible with the best bear spray you can get. Check out this list of the best bear spray options in the market so you're equipped to do just that in case of a bear encounter.
The 7 Best Bear Spray to Keep You Safe in Bear Country
1. Counter Assault 10.2 oz. Bear Deterrent with Night Glow Locator & Tactical Holster
The Counter Assault Bear Deterrent is one of the best bear spray options there is in the market for a number of reasons.
- This bear spray has a spray range of up to 32 feet. This means you do not need to be close to the bear before making your move.
- Its formula includes capsaicin and other related capsaicinoid products that temporarily disable the ability of a bear to not only see, but also smell.
- This bear spray is effective against all types of bears, including polar bears.
- It has an 8-second continuous spray that lasts longer than most brands.
- It has been carefully tested for leaks and has a 4-year shelf life so you don't have to replace it every year.
- It features a night glow locator that surely comes in handy once the sun goes down. This makes it easier to identify and locate bears who can easily blend into the dark.
- It also comes with a tactical belt holster so it's always ready to use.
- The bear spray meets the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) requirements for its Significant New Alternative Policy (S.N.A.P.) certification.
- It is made in Montana, the USA's bear country.
2. Udap Bear Spray with Griz Guard Holster
Perhaps the biggest selling point of the Udap Bear Spray is that it was designed by an actual bear attack survivor. Because of this, it is pretty safe to say that it was carefully manufactured and created to ensure survival in case of a bear attack.
- Claims to be the “hottest bear spray allowed by law.”
- One of its users said that it was “potent as hell.” Other users have also stated that it is effective even against rabid, charging dogs.
- This bear spray disperses in a broad spray pattern with a range of up to 30 feet.
- As an added bonus, the product comes in a very appealing orange color.
- It also has a holster that makes it look stylish while also offering a superior grip.
3. Udap Bear Spray with Camo Hip Holder
The Udap Bear Spray with Camo Hip Holder essentially has the same formula as the second item on this list. It also comes with the same potent bear repellant formula that sprays at a range of up to 30 feet. Additionally, this product has a broad spray pattern and also comes in that same stylish orange color.
Instead of the griz guard holster, however, this one has a camo hip holster. If the griz guard holster that was included in the other Udap bear spray isn't for you, then maybe this one is. The holster also ensures that your bear spray is always handy and doesn't fall off easily.
4. Guard Alaska Bear Spray Repellent with Belt Clip Holster
The Guard Alaska Bear Spray Repellent is one reliable bear spray for many reasons.
- Its continuous spraying capability can last up to 9 straight seconds compared to most brands the only lasts about 5-7 seconds.
- Formulated with Oleoresin Capsicum (OC) Bear Safe Formula, a natural ingredient extracted from hot peppers.
- This bear spray causes the membranes of the eyes, nose, and lungs of the bear to engorge, resulting in their restriction of breathing, temporary loss of sight, and a painful burning sensation.
- It is also fairly easy to use. Just pull off the orange safety tab on top of the canister, and spray the formula by pressing the actuator button.
- It has a spray range of approximately 15-20 feet.
- This brand comes with a metal belt clip holster.
- The hook and loop closure flap should allow you to access your bear spray easily should the need for it arise.
5. Mace Brand Bear Spray
The Mace Brand Bear Spray is another popular brand of bear spray. Like Guard Alaska's bear spray, this one is also formulated with Oleoresin Capsicum.
- It has a shelf life of 3 years from the date of its manufacture.
- This product is easy to use, with the user only needing to press the actuator button on top of the handgrip to activate the spray.
The Mace Brand Bear Spray does, however, have a shorter spray time of only 6 seconds. It makes up for this with its power fogger spray that has a range of up to 35 feet.
6. Griz Guard Bear Spray
The Griz Guard Bear Spray is a strong bear spray that claims to have the most powerful formula allowed by the EPA. This bear spray was also designed by a survivor of a grizzly bear attack, giving you that seal of approval that this has actually been tried and tested by an actual authority in surviving bear attacks.
- Has a range of up to 35 feet.
- It works on all bear species.
- The US-made bear spray also comes with a hip holster that easily attaches to either your tactical belt or backpack.
- This bear spray deploys high volumes of its pepper spray formula in powerful and concentrated shotgun-patterned blasts.
- It also has a unique shoot-from-the-holster design for that added convenience.
7. Frontiersman Bear Spray with Holster
The Frontiersman Bear Spray is one of the oldest and most established bear spray brands out there in the market. Like most of the bear sprays on this list, it also has the same hot and stinging formula as the other EPA-licensed bear spray brands here.
- It features a holster that comes with a glow-in-the-dark safety mechanism. This allows survivalists for easy location should a bear come prowling in the campsite late at night.
- It also has a special tie attachment mechanism that prevents users from misplacing it.
Done picking the best bear spray for you? Learn how else you can prevent and handle bear encounters with this video courtesy of TheOutdoorGearReview:
Seeing a bear in the wild can be extremely distressing especially to the unprepared. Make sure you're equipped to deal with a bear encounter by checking out and choosing from the list of the best bear spray options above.
Want to add more items to our list of the best bear spray options in the market? Share them with us in the comments section below!
- How To Keep Bears Away From Campsite
- Todd Orr: The Remarkable Man Who Survived A Bear Attack
- 7 Survival Tips From Bear Grylls: Best Of The Living Legend
Calling all preppers, craftsmen, bushmasters, outdoorsmen, and all-around skilled people, Survival Life needs YOU! Click here if you want to write for us.
Paracord Projects2 months ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Paracord Projects5 months ago
How To Make Paracord Survival Bracelets | DIY Survival Prepping
Medical Care4 months ago
21 Home Remedies For Toothache Pain Relief
Do It Yourself5 months ago
Survival DIY: How To Melt Aluminum Cans For Casting
Knife Laws3 months ago
Are Switchblades Legal? Knife Laws By State