Headaches can be hard to deal with, and over-the-counter medications aren’t always good for you. These home remedies for headaches should do the trick.
3 Effective Home Remedies for Headaches
Headaches can arrive in an instant, and all too often they are difficult to get rid of. Most people turn to over the counter medications for pain relief, such as aspirin or ibuprofen. At times, these medications work and you are able to go about your day; but, other times they do not and you are then forced to deal with the nagging pain. We’ve all been there and it is no fun!
In my opinion, if you turn to a home remedy for any ailment and it works for you, then stick with it. Home remedies are always a much healthier choice. If you are a sufferer of headaches, give these 3 effective home remedies a try.
1. Essential Oils
These particular essential oils help to expand and contract the vessels that increase blood flow and quickly reduces the pain from a headache.
Essential oils that will work for this home remedy:
- Lavender oil
- Rosemary oil
- Peppermint oil
- Thyme oil
- Eucalyptus oil
What you’ll need:
- 2 tablespoons of coconut or olive oil
- 8 to 10 drops of essential oil (choose one essential oil from the list above)
- Cotton ball
- Mix the essential oil in with the coconut or olive oil.
- With the help of a cotton ball or even with just your fingers, apply the oil on your forehead and temples. You can also apply the oil on your scalp and the back of your neck.
- Leave it on for a few hours.
You should get instant pain relief with the essential oils. You can repeat this process once after a couple of hours, if the pain resurfaces.
Alternative method using essential oils: For a stronger effect, you can prepare a steam treatment by adding a couple of drops of any of the essential oils mentioned into a small pot of boiling water. Inhale the steam in using deep and slow breaths for 15 minutes.
The compounds present in ginger, namely gingerols, shogaols, paradols, and zingerone, have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Ginger also stimulates muscle contraction. All these factors work together to effectively give fast relief from headaches.
What you’ll need:
- 1-2 tablespoons of dry ginger powder
- Mix the ginger powder with the water to make a paste.
- Apply this paste on your forehead and leave it for 15-20 minutes.
Alternative method: Add the ginger powder to hot water and inhale the vapors using slow deep breaths for 10-15 minutes.
3. Himalayan Salt
Himalayan salt is the most wholesome of all salts and is extremely rich in minerals and electrolytes. It replenishes the electrolytes in the body and reduces the severity of the headache. It also strengthens the immune system and increases energy levels.
What you’ll need:
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan salt
- 1 lemon
- A glass of water
- Squeeze the juice from the lemon and add to the water.
- Then add the Himalayan salt and mix well.
- Drink this mixture.
You should notice a major difference in your headache in just a few minutes.
Note: The above article is for informational purposes only. Always consult your doctor when your headache does not seem normal or continues beyond 7-10 days. Also, be sure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients before using them to get rid of your headache. If you are pregnant or have a medical condition, please consult your doctor before consuming any and all medications or ingredients included in any home remedy.
Check out these other great articles on home remedies from us here at Survival Life:
And from our friends at Pioneer Settler:
For awesome survival gear you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
- Survival Fitness & Nutrition – How Fitness Affects Survival [PODCAST]
- Top 25 Car Camping Essentials
- RVing and Prepping – Something to Think About
- Basic Survival Food Storage On a Budget
- Merchants of the Wild [PODCAST]
- Easy Camping Meals to Make Camp Cooking an Unforgettable Experience
- Mike Glover talks with Tony Blauer about the SPEAR System and Improving Preparedness [PODCAST]
Camping2 weeks ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping5 days ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment1 month ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself4 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency5 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still