When disaster strikes, it’s important to have a supply of survival food on hand. Check out this recipe for chocolate chia cookies that are packed with nutrients and have a high shelf life.
Make Your Own Survival Food: Chocolate Chia Cookies
In an emergency situation, your supply of survival food could be the difference between life and death. Make sure you’re prepared by keeping a batch of these chocolate chia cookies in your bug out bag.
These cookies are made entirely from stored ingredients – nothing fresh – so they have an extremely long shelf life when stored in an air-tight container. Check out the recipe below, and be sure to let us know your own survival food tips in the comments.
What you’ll need for your survival food:
- 2 ½ cups powdered milk
- 2 cups oats, uncooked
- ½ cup chia seeds, uncooked
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ tbsp. salt (optional)
- 2 tbsp. protein powder
- 1 package unflavored gelatin
- ½ cup water
- 3 tbsp. honey
How to make your survival food:
1. In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered milk, oats, chia seeds, cocoa powder, sugar, salt and protein powder. Stir with a spatula and set aside.
2. In a medium frying pan, combine gelatin, water and honey. Stir with a spatula and bring to a boil over medium heat.
3. Slowly pour this liquid into your bowl of dry ingredients while mixing thoroughly.
4. Using a small measuring cup, scoop dough from the bowl.
5. Roll dough into a ball and drop onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Press on the dough to flatten.
6. Continue this process until your baking sheet is full. Leave about an inch in between each cookie.
7. Bake at 200 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours.
8. Pack the cookies in a sealed container and stick them in your bug out bag.
Check out the video below to see how it’s done!
For awesome survival gears that you can’t make at home, check out the Survival Life Store!
Want more survival food ideas? Check out the posts below!
9 Survival Foods You Should NOT Store Long Term
How to Repackage Survival Foods
Shelf Life of the Most Common Survival Foods
12 Survival Foods That Will Save You in a Power Outage
- The 5 Most Basic Types of Campfires and What They’re For
- Mike Glover Talks about Lessons Learned from the Colonial Pipeline Shutdown [PODCAST]
- How to Book a Campsite from Parks to RVs to Backyards
- Kevin Estela and Bill Rapier Discuss Lessons Learned in Preparedness Before and After the Military [PODCAST]
- How To Survive Without Electricity For The Rest Of Your Life
- Living On The Edge [PODCAST]
- How to Build A Campfire
Camping4 days ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Homemade Survival Equipment1 month ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself4 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency5 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still
Do It Yourself4 months ago
Knifemaking: Make A Knife From An Old Wrench