With fall here and winter just around the corner for much of the country, I wanted to take a look at some alternative fire tools. I initially wanted to get a BLASTMATCH simply because it was the most widely advertised and has a ton of good reviews.
I always try to find a BBD (Bigger Better Deal) that can save me money without sacrificing quality and after a bit of research I ran across the Sparkie. It is from the same manufacturer as the Blastmatch but comes in at less than half of the cost. I caught mine on sale from amazon for about $10.00 vs the blastmatch’s average price of $24.99. I got it in the mail in just two days (thank you amazon prime) and like almost any man I opened it without reading the directions and initially thought it was broken. Turns out you just have to squeeze the sides of the sparkie to compress the striker onto the flint. After figuring this out I was quickly making sparks and almost setting my desk on fire.
-Bright hot sparks in seconds
– Spring loaded one handed design allows for the ability to start a fire with minimal dexterity ( great for cold and or wet conditions.
– Neon orange outer shell easy to see and made of a texturized rubber to keep it from slipping
– comes with a single cube of wetfire tinder ( mine came crushed like a powder and I haven’t been able to use it yet) that supposedly will take a spark even in the wettest of conditions.
-Light weight ( under an ounce) and compact design allows for carrying in pocket or in the smallest pocket of your pack.
-because the amount of sparks depends on the pressure you put on it, you don’t always get the same amount of sparks
– It is difficult to find the perfect angle for the sparks to catch light ( recommended at 70 degrees)
– The spring seems a big weak, you have to release and reset your grip on it about every 3-5 attempts
Breaking News Alert: Facebook Is Suppressing Politically Conservative Content. Join PatriotPlanet.com Today and Let Your Voice Be Heard.
Having the same basic functionality of its bigger brother makes this a really good purchase to keep in your go bag or just to take with you on a camping trip. You can never have too many ways to make a fire and if it is freezing cold and raining outside the first thing to go is the dexterity in your fingers. This nifty little tool will allow you to strike a fire without having to worry about shivering so much that you put out a match or not being able to articulate your fingers enough to strike a lighter. If you feel like spending the extra cash for the added durability of the Blastmatch then go for it, but if you want to keep your budget low and have the same outcome then the Sparkie is a great investment.
Check out these related articles from our site:
- Winter Driving Tips to Keep You Safe | Emergency Preparedness
- Non-Potable Water | Types and How to Spot Them | What You Need To Know
- How To Have Potable Water Anywhere | Emergency Preparedness
- How To Get Rid of Raccoons [Infographic]
- Instant Mashed Potatoes: Awesome Survival Food?
- Are You Prepared? 2020 Winter Holiday Travel Prep Tips
- 37 Urban Survival Skills To Master Before SHTF
Alternative Energy9 months ago
An Emergency Candle That Noah Would Be Proud Of
Do It Yourself2 months ago
82 Uses for Paracord That Will Surprise You
Do It Yourself9 months ago
A SHTF Plan For Your Pets | Bugging Out With Man’s Best Friend
Archives2 months ago
Hurricane Survival Tips: How to Survive Natural Disasters
Family9 months ago
You Asked For It: Nana’s Biscuits Recipe