If you ever find yourself stranded on a tropical island, it might not be so bad. With the right survival skills you can set up shelter, hunt animals, collect water and prepare food to keep you alive. One important part of survival though is to not expend too much energy. Food will be scarce so you need to maintain that energy for the important things. Opening a coconut is one of those things that can take up quite a bit of energy…but it doesn’t have to.
Using nothing but mother nature, you can easily learn how to open a coconut. No knife, machete, or hammer needed. Check out the simple tutorial, from King of Random, below.
How To Open A Coconut With No Tools
Step 1: Situate your coconut in a bed of rocks.
You’re on an island so finding rocks shouldn’t be too difficult. Place the coconut with the pointed side facing up between several heavy rocks. It should stay in place with very little wiggle room.
Step 2: Find the biggest rock you can carry.
Seriously, just grab the biggest rock you find and take it over to where the coconut is.
Step 3: Smash the coconut.
Use the powers of gravity to smash the coconut with the heavy rock. Be careful to not hit yourself. Bring the big rock down on the coconut a couple of times, flip the coconut over so that the flat side points up, and smash it once more.
Once a few cracks appear in the husk, you’re done with the rock smashing.
Step 4: Remove the husk.
Stick your fingers into the cracks of the husk and pull it off.
Remove all of the fibers and save them. They make great kindling.
- TITANIUM COATED RAZOR SHARP STEEL - Like other Hoffman Richter knives, the Talon uses high-quality 440C Steel, for a perfect...
- PIERCING 5.5" LONG FULL TANG TANTO BLADE - This rugged 3/16" thick blade is the ultimate combination of balance & power, with...
- PARACORD LASHING SYSTEM & GROOVED GRIP FOR IMPROVED HANDLING - Secured with aircraft-grade torx bolts, the Talon's beveled...
Step 5: Split coconut shell.
On one side of the coconut you’ll find three markings: two “eyes” and a “mouth”. Between the eyes is a line that runs across the coconut.
Smash the coconut on a rock perpendicularly across this line.
A clean crack will form.
- TITANIUM COATED RAZOR SHARP STEEL - The Wolf uses high-quality 440C Steel, for a perfect balance of edge retention and ease...
- "UNBREAKABLE" 4" LONG FULL TANG BLADE - This rugged 5.5mm thick drop point blade uses a piece of the best 440C stainless...
- 300 POUND CORD TIE AND GLASS BREAKER - If you get into an emergency, the 300-lb rated cord tie and glass breaker on the...
Step 6: Open and enjoy.
Open the coconut and enjoy the water and meat.
Last update on 2021-07-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
- 050 Bug Out Locations – A Preppers Paradise [PODCAST]
- 25 Ways To Get Clean Drinking Water In An Emergency
- 049 Prepper Teens – Give them a Freakin Job Already [PODCAST]
- List of Things NOT To Do When SHTF | Prepping for SHTF
- 051 World’s End Apothecary – The Doc is In [PODCAST]
- Staying Cool in The Summer While Hunting in The Woods
- US Alarmed as Saudis Threaten to Expose Secrets [PODCAST]
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping1 month ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency6 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still