If you ever find yourself stranded on a tropical island, it might not be so bad. With the right survival skills you can set up shelter, hunt animals, collect water and prepare food to keep you alive. One important part of survival though is to not expend too much energy. Food will be scarce so you need to maintain that energy for the important things. Opening a coconut is one of those things that can take up quite a bit of energy…but it doesn’t have to.
Using nothing but mother nature, you can easily learn how to open a coconut. No knife, machete, or hammer needed. Check out the simple tutorial, from King of Random, below.
How To Open A Coconut With No Tools
Step 1: Situate your coconut in a bed of rocks.
You’re on an island so finding rocks shouldn’t be too difficult. Place the coconut with the pointed side facing up between several heavy rocks. It should stay in place with very little wiggle room.
Step 2: Find the biggest rock you can carry.
Seriously, just grab the biggest rock you find and take it over to where the coconut is.
Step 3: Smash the coconut.
Use the powers of gravity to smash the coconut with the heavy rock. Be careful to not hit yourself. Bring the big rock down on the coconut a couple of times, flip the coconut over so that the flat side points up, and smash it once more.
Once a few cracks appear in the husk, you’re done with the rock smashing.
Step 4: Remove the husk.
Stick your fingers into the cracks of the husk and pull it off.
Remove all of the fibers and save them. They make great kindling.
- TITANIUM COATED RAZOR SHARP STEEL - Like other Hoffman Richter knives, the Talon uses high-quality 440C Steel, for a perfect balance of edge retention and ease of sharpening; The ultra-tough titanium coating ensures that it will last a lifetime
- PIERCING 5.5" LONG FULL TANG TANTO BLADE - This rugged 3/16" thick blade is the ultimate combination of balance & power, with a tanto tip design that is perfect when penetration is key; Simply put, when you carry this knife, you will fear very little
- PARACORD LASHING SYSTEM & GROOVED GRIP FOR IMPROVED HANDLING - Secured with aircraft-grade torx bolts, the Talon's beveled handled is designed so you'll never need to worry about losing your grasp on this incredibly sharp blade, even in the most challenging conditions; Plus the openings in the blade allow you to thread paracord through to lash up a devastatingly effective spear
Step 5: Split coconut shell.
On one side of the coconut you’ll find three markings: two “eyes” and a “mouth”. Between the eyes is a line that runs across the coconut.
Smash the coconut on a rock perpendicularly across this line.
A clean crack will form.
- TITANIUM COATED RAZOR SHARP STEEL - The Wolf uses high-quality 440C Steel, for a perfect balance of edge retention and ease of sharpening; The ultra-tough titanium coating ensures that it will last a lifetime
- "UNBREAKABLE" 4" LONG FULL TANG BLADE - This rugged 5.5mm thick drop point blade uses a piece of the best 440C stainless steel on the market, which means you won't ever break it (but you're welcome to try!)
- 300 POUND CORD TIE AND GLASS BREAKER - If you get into an emergency, the 300-lb rated cord tie and glass breaker on the handle could very well save your life
Step 6: Open and enjoy.
Open the coconut and enjoy the water and meat.
Last update on 2019-02-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API