Karen Dolley was fast asleep in her Indianapolis home when she heard a man break in. That’s when Dolley’s medieval fight training kicked in.
The 5’6″ Dolley punched the intruder 10 times into a corner of her bedroom. She then reached for a gun in a nearby drawer but accidentally opened the wrong one. Unfazed, Dolley grabbed a backup: her ninjato, a Japanese-style sword. Holding the intruder at swordpoint, she called 911 and kept the intruder cornered until police arrived.
Dolley said she was surprised and acted in the heat of the moment.
“I didn’t think I was getting good blows in but my knuckles are bruised today,” Dolley told IndyStar on Friday. “Hitting someone like that, it isn’t like the movies. You’re expecting it to be louder and see people jerk around, but that’s not how it happens in real life.”
Dolley spend her teenage years with the Society for Creative Anachronism, a group that recreates European arts and life from the 17th century and before. Dolley’s role was to engage in non-choreographed fights using rattan swords.
Learn more on how to develop your fighting skills with these great articles on our site:
- 050 Bug Out Locations – A Preppers Paradise [PODCAST]
- 25 Ways To Get Clean Drinking Water In An Emergency
- 049 Prepper Teens – Give them a Freakin Job Already [PODCAST]
- List of Things NOT To Do When SHTF | Prepping for SHTF
- 051 World’s End Apothecary – The Doc is In [PODCAST]
- Staying Cool in The Summer While Hunting in The Woods
- 5 Things You Should Never Do When Camping Alone
Camping2 months ago
21 Savory Campfire Recipes For Delicious Meals Outdoors
Camping1 month ago
26 Badass Camping Hacks For Your Next Trip
Homemade Survival Equipment3 months ago
8 Unusual Booby Traps To Protect Your Home
Do It Yourself5 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Self Sufficiency6 months ago
How To Make A Moonshine Still