Do It Yourself
How to Raise Barnyard Chickens
Raising backyard chickens is such a fun process, especially for the kiddos. There is no better way to show your children how to be responsible pet owners than starting with chickens, not to mention getting them started on the road to 4H.
We have gathered some useful information on raising chickens both in urban and rural settings. However, before you decide to start raising your backyard chickens, be sure to check with the local chicken laws and ordinances. Urban areas will have much stricter regulations regarding livestock than rural areas and there may be fees involved.
Benefits to raising backyard chickens
- Easy and inexpensive to maintain
- Nutritious, fresh eggs
- Weed control that is chemical-free
- Natural fertilizer and compost with high levels of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium
- A safer and healthier alternative to factory farmed products, where you know what went into the meat and eggs
Raising chickens in an urban or suburban neighborhood is becoming a popular trend. Check out these tips on raising chickens in the city.
Here are a few tips on how to raise chickens:
- If you are in the city, let the chickens out a few days a week for at least half an hour before dark.
- Plan for plenty of ventilation on several sides of the hen house. Circulating air will prevent many diseases and help the inside dry out.
- A general rule of thumb for the coop is 4 square feet of space per bird, and 8 square feet of space per bird for a chicken run.
- Pine shavings & corn cob bedding is best. Stay clear of newspaper as it does not absorb well and is slippery underfoot.
- Play with your chicks when young so they can get used to being around people.
Find out more info at Backyard Chickens.
Ready to build your chicken coop? Check out this checklist:
null// Check out these related articles:
Hen Pecked: An In Depth Interview On Raising Chickens
Raising Goats for Prep | The Perfect SHTF Livestock
Homesteading and Farming – The Ultimate Survival Lifestyle
Like this post?
Be sure to like us on Facebook so you can be the first to know about latest survival tips and off the grid living skills.
Leave a Reply
Paracord Projects1 year ago
Paracord Projects | 36 Cool Paracord Ideas For Your Paracord Survival Projects
Featured Articles1 year ago
Drought Survival Tips: How to Survive Drought
Emerging Threats1 year ago
How to Survive a Nuclear War: 10 Ways to Stay Alive
Survival Skills1 year ago
377 Survival Hacks You Should Learn in 2022 | Your Ultimate Survival Life Hacks Guide
Building1 year ago
How to Build Bomb Shelter | 15 Steps on How to Build a Bomb Shelter
Pingback: How to Raise Quail for Eggs and Meat | Survival Life
Pingback: The Chicken Coop Checklist | Survival Life | Blog
July 20, 2018 at 4:11 PM
How to keep my chickens cool during the record heat?
August 16, 2018 at 1:11 PM
Put them in a freezer. 😉