Make any of these three recipes for homemade mosquito repellents and drive mosquitoes away, the natural way.
RELATED: Protect Yourself Against Mosquitoes
In this article:
- Protect Yourself from the Smallest Yet Most Dangerous Animal in the World
- How to Make All-Natural Homemade Mosquito Spray Repellents
Natural and Easy Homemade Mosquito Repellents
Protect Yourself from the Smallest Yet Most Dangerous Animal in the World
Mosquitoes may be tiny, but no animal or insect is as notorious as this bug. It may well be the deadliest in the world.
Malaria, Zika, and dengue virus are only some of the deadliest diseases contracted simply from a mosquito bite. It is more important than ever to protect yourself and your family against mosquitoes.
I can’t stress this enough! In my neck of the woods (Texas), mosquitoes are extremely bad this year.
There is a constant threat of the Zika virus and the many other viruses contracted through a single mosquito bite. So, constant protection against mosquitoes is key to having a safe and healthy summer.
There is also, how a bat house can prove beneficial to controlling the mosquito population. A single bat can consume 1200 mosquitoes in an hour!
In this article, I’ll share with you three extremely effective homemade mosquito repellents safe for you and your family – ALL NATURAL. NO HARSH CHEMICALS!
How to Make All-Natural Homemade Mosquito Spray Repellents
Apparently, mosquitoes are attracted to carbon dioxide and certain human odor, especially. Thus, they are drawn to the smell of sweat, urine, and lactating mothers.
So, it is really logical to either be odorless or mask our scent. Yet, they are also attracted to certain perfume and cologne scent.
Besides, most perfumes and colognes contain ingredients which may also be harmful in the long run. Therefore, natural and essentials oils remain the best solution to masking our odor.
Here are the best natural mosquito repellent recipes, plus a guide to essential oils combination:
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe #1
What You’ll Need:
- 4oz spray bottle
- 2oz of witch hazel
- 2oz of distilled water
- Essential Oil (20-25 drops for ages three and up) (40-50 drops for ages 10 and up)
Add all ingredients to the spray bottle; shake well and apply as needed. Shake well before each application, though and avoid spraying on your face.
If you get any of this repellent on your hands, make sure to avoid touching your eyes and mouth. For ages under two, spray on their clothes ONLY.
Essential Oil Combinations Safe for Ages 3 and Up:
- 10 drops of lavender + 10 drops of citronella
- 8 drops lavender + 5 drops geranium + 7 drops cedarwood
- 10 drops lemon eucalyptus + 10 drops lavender
- 5 drops lavender + 5 drops geranium + 2 drops patchouli + 8 drops spearmint
- 5 drops geranium + 5 drops citronella + 2 drops patchouli + 3 drops lemon eucalyptus + 3 drops lavender + 3 drops spearmint
- 10 drops citronella + 5 drops lemon eucalyptus + 3 drops patchouli + 3 drops lavender
Essential Oil Combinations Safe for Ages 10 and Up:
- 10 drops geranium + 15 drops lavender + 5 drops patchouli + 10 drops lemongrass + 10 drops citronella
- 15 drops lemongrass + 15 drops eucalyptus + 20 drops citronella
- 20 drops lavender + 20 drops lemongrass + 10 drops peppermint
- 20 drops rosemary + 20 drops cedarwood + 10 drops peppermint
- 15 drops lavender + 10 drops basil + 10 drops rosemary + 15 drops spearmint
- 15 drops eucalyptus + 20 drops lavender + 15 drops lemongrass
**This spray also repels flies, gnats, and ticks.
RELATED: Alternative Mosquito Repellants
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe #2
What You’ll Need:
- 16oz spray bottle
- ½ teaspoon of vegetable glycerine
- 14oz of witch hazel
- 40 drops of either lavender, lemongrass, citronella, OR tea tree oil
Mix all ingredients in the 16oz bottle, shake well, and apply as needed. Shake well before each application.
— Survival Life (@SurvivalLF) June 22, 2016
Homemade Mosquito Repellent Recipe #3
What You’ll Need:
- Plastic spray bottle
- 8oz of distilled water
- A pinch of Epsom salt
- 10-12 drops of peppermint oil
- 10-12 drops of purification oil
Add all the ingredients, then put in a spray bottle and shake well. Spray your skin and clothes generously, avoiding your face.
If you have a mosquito spray repellent recipe you would like to share with us, please share in the comment section below!
Watch this video from Dr. SimpleHack to make a homemade mosquito killer trap from cardboards:
Besides being annoying, mosquitoes are certified dangerous. Sadly, there is no one solution to a mosquito problem.
Even with these homemade mosquito repellents you still need to keep your surroundings clean and maintain good hygiene. At the very least, these homemade mosquito repellents will help you ward off mosquitoes the safe and natural way.
Which of these homemade mosquito repellents would you make? Tell us your plans for it in the comments section below!
- Gearing Up For Summer: Can Your Bug Out Bag Take The Heat?
- The Healing Properties Of Catnip Tea | Survival Fitness
- Essential Oils For Survival – 80 Tea Tree Oil Uses
***Disclaimer: The contents of this article are for informational purposes only. Please read our full disclaimer.***
Editor’s Note: This post was originally published on June 22, 2016, and has been updated for quality and relevancy.
Natural Disasters3 months ago
Flood Survival Tips | How To Survive Before, During, And After A Flood
Survival Skills2 weeks ago
377 Survival Hacks You Should Learn in 2022 | Your Ultimate Survival Life Hacks Guide
Food Preservation2 months ago
Hidden Stockpile | Reloading Your Stockpile After Thanksgiving
Do It Yourself11 months ago
15 Homemade Weapons That Are REALLY Badass [2nd Edition] | Survival Life
Foraging11 months ago
20 Edible Wild Plants You Can Forage For Survival