The terra cotta pots concentrate the heat using convection. While you won’t heat a whole house with it, it can definitely warm your hands and make a cold night much more bearable with this method. Several of these going at the same time can comfortably warm a room. You can purchase one of these and see just how they work from Heatstick.com or you can make your own for just a few bucks.
All you need to create your own is:
• Three small unglazed terra cotta pots that range from large to small, i.e. ( 6”, 4”, 2”)
• One solid steel bolt
• Washers in varying sizes that fit in the bottom of the pots
• Several nuts to act as spacers between each pot
• Metal stand to hold the radiator ( oil burners work quite well )
• Electric drill
• Mason bit ( same size or slightly larger than the bolt)
1. Drill a hole in the center bottom of each pot ( be careful as too much pressure will shatter them)
2. Place the bolt through the hole in the largest pot with the head of the bolt on the outside
3. Turn the pot upside down and slide a washer over the bolt
4. Place the medium pot inside the large pot
5. Slide a washer inside the medium pot
6. Thread two nuts onto the bolt followed by another washer
7. Place the final pot on the bolt
8. Finish with one last washer and nut
Now simply set it on your stand and place a candle under it.
Keep in mind that 4.25oz standard glass jar candles work the best and never use a pillar candle as it will melt and cause a huge mess.