Survival Skills Blog & Off The Grid Guides

How to Keep Your Edge

A few weeks ago I was looking through the comments that you guys had posted and one of them in particular caught my eye:

Brad Buckner-

Hey Joe since you are into survival stuff you need to check out my site. This is the best survival tool on the planet. From sharpening to striking flint and Mag. to start a fire. Take care, Brad

Now I personally go through and approve each and every comment that comes across and normally I would have passed this one by.

But something in this short comment stuck with me and I decided to check out the site.

If there is one thing I can’t stand it is a dull knife. I actually keep a whet stone in my night stand and sharpen my EDC knife every couple of nights.

I have woken up the misses a few times to the sound of steel on stone…. Sometimes I don’t have the best judgement.

Well after I checked out his product I decided to give his product a try.

I contacted him via email and after a few back and forth mails we ended up on the phone and spent the next half hour talking about knives.

He shipped one of his handy sharpeners out to me and a few days later every one of my knives was razor sharp.

This thing is deceptively simple and effective, but don’t just take my word for it, check out Brads in depth tutorial videos below:

Part 1:

[youtube id=”5_oQ5rYyuh8″ width=”620″ height=”360″]

Part 2:

[youtube id=”gM-Yg_qSXpQ” width=”620″ height=”360″]

Brad has made a total of 6 videos showing off how the handy sharpener does much more than sharpen pocket knives.

I have to say after having one of these on my key ring I think I am going to finally retire my old whet stone.

I can say from first hand experience that these things work!

Anyone who carries a knife on a daily basis knows that a dull blade is a dangerous blade.

Check these things out and see for yourself how quick and efficient they are.

In one of our email chains, brad had this to say: “I have been doing sportsman’s shows, home and garden shows, boat shows, fishing expos, game and fish expos, gun shows, flea markets, farmers markets, world AG expo, and many more venues for 5 years.

I KNOW SHARPENING! And sharpeners and knives. I sharpen about 100 knives a day an average of 4 days a week.

My regular handy Sharp I use at the shows gets touched about 100,000 times to a blade every work day. I touch about 90 times a minute when sharpening. That’s 1,000,000 touches per 10 working days. Going on 3 years now. 48 weeks a year. Think you will wear it out??”

In fact, Brad is so sure about his product that he offers a lifetime, 100 percent satisfaction guarantee or your money back. If broken, he will send you a new one, and he will even pay the shipping.

P.S.  If you need a little more convincing, check out this little gem that I dug up from youtube.

This guy actually shaves his FACE with a knife he sharpens on the Handy Sharpener.

[youtube id=”zPEehVnLE8Y” width=”620″ height=”360″]

P.P.S- If you order one of these priceless tools, be sure to mention in the comments section of your order. Brad said that since he is an active member of the survival life community he wants to take a little extra care of any other members.  If you mention he has promised to add in a little extra bonus to your order.  BUT you have to do it when you order!

and make sure that you only order from

• David Reed says:

Just purchased one of these, but unfortunately there was never any place to add a comment during the purchase process as it is done via PayPal. I think this will still be worth it, but it would have been nice to get that little extra whatever that is.

• Tammie says:

David I had the same problem. When I received my receipt it had Brad’s email address on there so I shot him a quick email letting him know that I found out about him on and that I did not see anywhere to leave a comment at the time of the order. I am hoping he will either honor that email or at least fix the problem for future purchasers! It can’t hurt right?

• Brad Buckner says:

This is Brad with handy Sharp. I will get the bonus to Survival life customers. Thank you. B.

• David Reed says:

That would be greatly appreciated. Can’t wait to go from a clamp with 5 diamond whetstones down to just one simple tool. Fits in perfectly with our current microwave society of today. :)

• David says:

This is a cool item. I have always had issues sharpening my knives and this looks like a great tool to keep them sharp.

I was about to order the larger sized sharpener from Brad for $15 plus $2 shipping ($17 total) but being the frugal prepper on a budget, I decided to check out ebay. I found a three pack of all the sizes of the handy sharp for $19.95 plus $2.95 shipping. I didn’t order it yet, but thought your readers deserved to get this for the best price and like me, would want to save a few bucks. . I am hoping that maybe Brad would be willing to make us a better offer?

• David says:

No Reply from Brad in about a week. I guess he does not frequent this much. I will wait a day or two more then I guess I will just go for the ones on ebay.

• DOUG says:

Ordered the lg sharpener and waited….and waited….left a message on their contact form/email,whatever. A couple days and no responce. Left another message with any+all my contact info………..nothing for 3-4 days! Canceled order through Paypal. If he is that poor at taking care of buisness I don’t think the product could be much good either!
    Doug T.

• Joe Joe says:

I’m sorry you feel that way Doug,
      It is only Brad fulfilling the orders and I’m sorry if yours fell through the crack, I wish you had contacted me before canceling, I would have tried to get it taken care of for you.
      The product is solid and I think you are really missing out on it.

• Darryl Caldwell says:

Seems like I am in the same boat as Doug with the knife sharpener…I ordered one myself through his website with Pay Pal and that was on March 2,2013 and still no sharpener and have never heard a thing. I also sent another message tonight, March 25, 2013, which also contained the order number etc. and will give it a few days and I think I will be doing the same as Doug which is canceling my order with Pay Pal unless you can work some type of a miracle,,,lol…

• Joe Joe says:

Hey Darryl, I shot an email to brad for you, hopefully you should hear back from him soon. Sorry for the inconvenience, but this product is still worth the wait!

Let me know how things go

• Darryl Caldwell says:

Thanks so much Joe…Brad got in touch with me right away and after I gave him some info about the order he was able to find me in his system but some how I ended up in his spam folder. Brad fixed everything right away along with apologies for this happening…Brad is a top notch guy and I would advise everyone to order the sharpener from him, if there are any problems at all Brad will take care of things right away and keep in touch with you at the same time. Thanks Joe for helping me get in touch with Brad and thank you Brad for all the help…

• Dave says:

I tried ordering all three on 13 May via PayPal. Talking with PayPal today (28 May), they said the order never through because of some issue with the account. Is there another way to order them?