Survival Skills Blog & Off The Grid Guides

My BOB Has A Secret…And It Isn’t Pretty.

That’s right the secret weapon in my Bug out Bag is pantyhose… er maybe I should call them Man-tyhose.

But after you stop laughing… you might want to read on to see just WHY I keep these in my pack…

You may just find yourself grabbing a few pairs afterwards.

If you are heading out  for a weekend camping trip or a disaster is on its way and you need to hoof it on foot to get out of dodge make sure you always have  a few pair of these in your gear:

pantyhose egg

It might not be  a very manly thing to carry and I get a few funny looks when I step up to the counter at CVS with a pair of Pantyhose… but  this is survival planning and you looking manly is trumped by being prepared.

Sponsored

What’s On Your Wrist?

You’ve probably seen paracord bracelets before,
but you’ve never seen anything like the Firekable.

This is a triple impact EDC tool… and right now it’s yours absolutely free!

I really want you to have one to make sure that you’re never more than
an arms length away from the tools you need to survive.

But ultimately – it’s your choice…

So grab one now before they’re all gone…

Not only are these cheap to buy but there are dozens of alternative uses for them and they take up practically no space.  Check out the list below for a small sampling of what these can be used for:

• You can wear pantyhose as extra layer beneath your normal clothes to keep warm in cold weather.
  • Use pantyhose to prevent bites and stings. Wear pantyhose under your shorts or pants to protect against chiggers, ticks, and other biting insects.
  • If you are going to be trekking through water, wear them to protect yourself from jellyfish stings and leaches.
  • Stretch a pair of pantyhose over a “Y” shaped branch or stick and use as a skimmer or a fishing net. You won’t catch a 10lb catfish in this, but you may be able to pick up a few smaller fish to eat or use as bait for a larger fish
  • Use pantyhose to secure bait while fishing. Place bait in the pantyhose and secure it to a tree or anything sturdy in order to to keep from losing bait while fishing.
  • Use pantyhose as a pouch or bag to carry things.
  • Use pantyhose to fasten or bind things together instead of twine or bungee cords..
  • You can use pantyhose as a belt to keep your pants hiked up.
  • In first aid, you can utilize pantyhose as a tourniquet or to hold and/or secure a bandage or hot and cold pack.
  • Use pantyhose as a first round filter to strain any collected water.  The water will still need to be treated or boiled but this first line of defense will help to clear the water of any large particles.
  • Use pantyhose to prevent blisters. I saw a lot of comments in one of my previous articles about using pantyhose to keep your feet blister free and I just wanted to highlight it again here. Cut the feet off of a pair of pantyhose at the ankles and wear them under your socks. They will help cut down on the friction between your shoe and your foot, thus reducing the risk of blisters.

Pantyhose look terrible on men… plain and simple, but they were never designed for us but the great thing about them is that they are extremely stretchy and most have a sizing guide so that you can take a guess at the size you should buy.

I’m not saying that these should be worn on a regular basis, but in a survival situation the benefit of having those in your pack outweigh any blow that your pride may take when purchasing them.  And if you really can’t break down and buy a pair of them for yourself,  I’ve actually seen a few places that sell them in camouflage for the real manly man.

Or if you have the extra cash you can always buy underarmour, but when you can get 10 pair of pantyhose for the cost of 1 pair of underarmour, I would rather save my money for something else.

These are just a few examples of what a little ingenuity can bring you in a survival situation; can you think of a few more that I may have missed?

Comments

comments

75 Comments

• Richter says:

Great Idea, I see that a Suggestion I made years ago to one Survivalist leader, has made it’s Rounds, So I take no credit for it. A womans Kotex or Tampon, Has a great many uses. from First-Aid to Fire Starter,Water Filters, Torches, Smug-pots, Wicking for Alcohol Stoves & Heaters, Cami-Face paint Applicator, Washing,In place of rag, Sweat-bands, Bleeding Bandages, Puncher-wound, In-certs(Tampons)or use the Plastic tube for,”Air-way tube”,As well as making Fishing Lures.
    As with the pantyhose, There are Many things that a Tampon can be used for, Your only limit is your Imagination.
    ———————————————————————— Guys, NEVER Forget, That Gal your with, May be Carrying a big purse, Great!! DO NOT Toss it aside, Everything inside that typical Purse has a Host of other uses, Including the purse itself! For Example, Lip Stick, is great for Chapped Lips, Perfumes can be used as a Lure for trapping or Escape & Distracting an Enemy. Pens Galore, Have multi- uses. Tissue = fire Starter, Make-up kits contain mirrors. Those Wire or spiral notebooks, The steel wire can become a Life Savor, if you know how, as well as a weapon for taking life!
    A Funny Note just accrued to me,The TSA = Those Stupid Asses, Let millions of women fly every day, While Not Knowing that each woman is a walking, breathing, arson-el?!( My spelling is off I’m sure),
    ON Average,1 Woman + 1 Purse = Nearly unlimited Weapons of DEATH! How’s that for our MALE PRIDE, Just Don’t Allow the women in your life to know these truths, or you’ll never hear the last of it!!

Comments

comments

• Rick says:

We used large feminine pads with long strngs to clean M79 genade launchers. They sere a great fit to the barrel.

Comments

comments

• Kate says:

I guess there is an advantage to sex education in schools. I was 12 years old before I knew that Kotex were used for anything other than wrapping the legs of a race horse.

Comments

comments

• Quester55 says:

Richter, Not a common name, these days, Great advice, Sounds like some of my own that I gave to a much younger Richter, many years ago.
      Ever live in Michigan?, it’s a great state for putting ” Survival Practice ” too work.Have you’ve ever tried to make a Bolo out of p-hose ?, I did when I was younger. Works darn well at catching Rabbits, or scaring off other dog packs, from time to time.
      I once had family in Barryton, but lost all track.
      Have a great Bug Out When it comes.

Comments

comments

• Wanda says:

No judgment here. Do what you have to do. I salute the military and what they give for our country everyday, so if a few pairs of pantyhose will help keep all soldiers (male and female) safe, then hell, I’ll send them some.

Oh and how many things have we as women been confiscating from men for years. I personally love big men because with big men come big shirt that I get to snuggle in. Men’s socks cover more leg and remember it was not females who started wearing jeans, I believe we got that from men as well. So, if all we as women can give are a few pairs of panty hose for safety and protection, then that’s a small price to pay for the wonderful wardrobe you’ve given us.

Comments

comments

• gena says:

Hey guys, if you don’t feel good buying pantyhose yourself, get the wife, daughter or girl friend to buy them for you. Women who care will understand. And we could probably pick the right size for you better than you could, since we buy them all the time.

Comments

comments

• Steve Thomas says:

Ya, and it will help make up for the times we men have had to buy tampoons etc for the wife. Especially because thay always call for a price check.

Comments

comments

• janey says:

Well I hope my old man doesn’t read this. I have a hard enough time keeping him out of my pantyhose as it is. Just give him more of an excuse, and I will never find a pair to wear.

Comments

comments

• Sean says:

This is actually an old field trick we used in the infantry, and it certainly works against chiggers, ticks and such! It’s still a sound tip today, so good post Joe. Most people don’t know about it, but then how many grunts are going to tell you they wore pantyhose from time to time? Avon’s Skin So Soft is also effective at repelling many annoying insects. So don’t be ashamed of a few “girlie” products in your field pack!

Comments

comments

• Irish-7 says:

You beat me to it, Sean. Grunts have used nylons for decades, even before I enlisted in the Airborne Infantry in 1980. Nylon creates friction, generating heat. It also dries quickly after you sweat. Some ground-pounders claim that nylon prevents blisters, too. Thanks for the memories!

Comments

comments

• Ray Johnson says:

Going horse riding? Pantyhose will prevent chafing, wear them under your pants, no body needs to know. The inside of your legs can become red raw and the pain is dreadful, wear pantyhose, problem fixed.

Comments

comments

• 0

1) Put a garbage bag over each leg
    2) put on pantyhose
    3) Instant Waders!

Comments

comments

• CW says:

Pantyhose material makes excellent paint strainers. Use a large funnel and clothes pins.

Comments

comments

• cindy says:

This isn’t for survival per se, but I’ve always used strips of pantyhose to tie plants to stakes in the garden. And, to tie vines w/ heavy fruit like melons and those ginormous Butternut squash to the mesh fence. Great post! I’ll remember that as I declutter to make room for our preps, to keep the pantyhose I no longer wear!

Comments

comments

• Toni Smith says:

who says that is not survival Cindy. growing your own food sure is as one of its most basic levels

Comments

comments

• janey says:

Good greif. Have we forgotten the biggest use of panty hose. What do you pull down over your face when you rob the bank to get the money to buy your survival goodies.

Comments

comments

• SchemaByte says:

This is a great tip, and the comments are great too.

It’s pretty hard to not find it hilarious despite all that. Perhaps I’m not mature enough. lol

Comments

comments

• Rick says:

1. Have you ever heard of using these to keep fallout out of engines after radiation events or Nuclear explosions. If the engine gets irradiated then servicing the engine could get problematic. Put it over the air intakes for engine and passenger area.
    2. Use panthose to keep volcanic ash out of auto engine. Put it over the air intakes for engine and passenger area.
    3. Use for covering mouth and nose. Also a bandana can be used for the face.

Comments

comments

• Kate says:

I ran a taxi company in Washington when Mt. St. Helens erupted. We kept the ash out of our engines by wrapping panty hose around the air filter canister.

Comments

comments

• Stef says:

A mechanic friend of mine told me to keep a pair in my vehicle to use as an emergency belt if I have one to break. Has to tied tight but will work in a pinch.

Comments

comments

• Dave says:

How about using them to catch crabs?

Meat, the more rancid the better, goes inside. Place it into the water, pull it up periodically. The crabs come to investigate the bait, and the fabric holds the claws long enough to pull them out of the water.

Comments

comments

• SchemaByte says:

Note that you should probably not return them to your wife after this particular suggestion. :)

Comments

comments

• EM says:

They sell knee high hose in queen size that work well with socks tokeep yeet warm. we would put on a cotton sock, the knee high and then a wool sock, when we were going duck hunting.

Comments

comments

• WS says:

Do you not find that this makes your feet slip too much inside the boot? I found some knee-highs that were nylon on the outside, and slightly fuzzy on the inside. Thought they’d make a good no-bulk layer to prevent blisters, but they slipped around so badly inside the sock I put over them that my footing was compromised… which is sort of an issue when you’re taking closeups of rattlesnakes on an unstable scree slope…

Comments

comments

• Dienekes says:

Your footwear does not fit properly. Consider insoles or orthotics for correction.

Comments

comments

• WS says:

Urban survival — Panty hose can serve to temporarily replace a broken belt in an engine — maybe for long enough to escape the zombies and get to someplace where you can scavenge a real belt. 😉 Seriously, though — it can save you a lot of trouble in a middle of nowhere winter breakdown, even if only to be able to run the engine intermittently for heat, or to charge a battery.

Comments

comments

• SchemaByte says:

If pantyhose do save me from zombies, I may have to claim that it was rather instead from sheer physical prowess. Hell, same deal if it was just a winter road repair. Great tip though. :)

Comments

comments

• Lynne says:

The V-belt on our RV broke while on the interstate. My hubby thought I was crazy when I took of my pantyhose and tied them around the pulleys! Changed his tune when it got us off the interstate to an auto parts store!
      Also once used a bobby-pin (hair pin) to temporarily replace a broken cotter pin on the clutch linkage.

Comments

comments

• Tony says:

Used these all the time in the Army on long ruck marches to keep blisters off my feet.

Comments

comments

• destiney says:

great tip and i’m still laughing picturing my hubbs in fishnets… lol not the same thing but im bad like that

Comments

comments

• sandy says:

Thanks for all the good tips for using panty hose. They are the best tings for emergencies. Just would like to add that I broke a belt on my car once and used panty hose to make a belt. They worked real well and 2 days later were still working until the mechanic put a new belt on. He said that he would have never thought of using panty hose. Would like know if you have ever tried this. Send me an e-mail.

Comments

comments

• Debi says:

This is not really a survival hint for panty hose but when i buy a large bag of onions i use my old panty hose to store them in. I drop one in down to the toe and tie a knot then add the next onion, tie a knot and so on. Hang to store in a cool place and when you need one cut one off starting at the bottom, working your way up.

Comments

comments

• JES says:

Debi: That is the best KITCHEN tip I have EVER heard for storing onions!
      THANK YOU!! BTW, I consider anything that will help improve storage of onions for cooking a survival tip as well. Gee, I guess I’d better go through all those old pantyhose and knee highs in that overcrowded drawer and select some for my bug-out bag. Since nowdays I only wear them for weddings and singing on stage, there are undoubtedly lots that could be scarfed up for prepping. And, well, this is not a survivalist technique, but we cut them off and use the legs for filtering out any lint from the exhaust of the clothes drier. It helps keep the amt. of lint down to a manageable level and when too dirty, you can just throw the piece of stocking away and use the other leg!

Comments

comments

• Peggy says:

Jes is missing the boat big time, save the lint filled panyhose for firestarter, makes excellent tinder. Lots of cool ideas here.

Comments

comments

• Maxilyn says:

Stuff the lint into each compartment of a cardboard egg carton, cover with melted paraffin. When cool, cut the compartments apart. Stick one under your kindling and touch a match to the cardboard. Great firestarter.

Comments

comments

• J.S. says:

No paraffin you can use Vaseline instead, messier ….yes, but same effect ….also use TP rolls if no egg carton ….
            Nothing better than brainstorming preppers :)

Comments

comments

• JOHNNY says:

@ Jes. All that magnificent LINT can be used for making petroleum jelly fire starters.

Comments

comments

• JOHNNY says:

We have used this trick for years when harvesting onions from the garden.

It allows them to maintain the proper humidity level, and reduces mold issues.

Comments

comments

• Lee says:

Kind of a different area of use, but still valid in a bug-out situation. I always carry a pair of panty hose in my vehicle in case I have a belt on the engine break. If tied tight around the pulleys it will take you a long way to get help. I actually had to use them once, it sure was nice having them.

Comments

comments

• Chuck says:

While not a panty hose use, the Marine Corps experimented with using anti-prespirant on feet for long marches. While it did not eliminate blisters 100%, it did significantly reduce foot blister occurrence significantly. I used that technique on a week long march around Mt. Fuji, Japan and found that while I would have hot spots on my feet at the end of the day, I did not develop blisters on the 350 km/6 day hike. It is important to used anti-prespirant and not deodorant. Deodorant will just make your blisters smell nice.

Comments

comments

• Quester55 says:

Hose, can be made into a 2 or 3 ball, bolo, great for hunting or protection.

Comments

comments

• J.S. says:

Second mention of a bolo n I have not a clue…
      Can someone elaborate plz? :)

Comments

comments

• Koekie says:

Bolo, or bola, is a hunting device comprising of 2 or 3 balls on a long piece of rope . . . designed to capture animals by entangling their legs. Can also be used as self-defence weapon.

Comments

comments

• Chip says:

I guess if I can buy Kotex (or equivalent) for my BOB as inexpensive trauma bandages I can buy some pantyhose. :o)

Comments

comments

• GrouchyJohn says:

Another use for Panty Hose…. ever broken a rib – or as I did several of them – and need to bind them up to help the pain? Panty hose would work well. They are long, stretchy, and tie easy. If the standard elastic wraps aren’t available, grab a set of panty hose.

Comments

comments

• Joseph Couture says:

Back in the late ’60s, a lot of us used panty hose under our jeans when skiing. Elastic pants were not prevalent then and the panty hose kept your jeans from sticking to your legs when they got damp, making movement MUCH easier

Comments

comments

• JOHNNY says:

I recall doing that, while we were at Ft. Lewis, Washington. We got the “ski bug,” and most of the time it was a light drizzling rain while we skied.

“Real” ski clothing wasn’t easy or cheap to come by so we skied in jeans which were almost always wet! For me, it was waffled long underwear, loose fitting pantyhose, under blue jeans.

In 5 years of skiing the Cascades I never saw any powder, only wet snow or ice. I didn’t get to see/ski on powder until I went to Colorado.

Comments

comments

• Tom says:

Pantyhose are still in use by many in the military to prevent blisters and chafing while on long ruck marches. It is a sound tactic and works best when layered under your boot socks. The socks rub against the pantyhose instead of your skin, helping to prevent blisters.

I use pieces of pantyhose all the time to fish with. It is a great way to hold bait together that otherwise might dissipate in the water. Catfish and other large game fish will come after bait tied up in a piece of pantyhose and placed on a hook. It also prevents the need to periodically pull up your line to see if your bait is still on the hook.

Comments

comments

• Mike says:

I’ve used pantyhose in my shopvac over a compromised filter that was falling apart. And if you don’t wanna be recognized or need to protect your head or face, put them over your head.
    I love the auto belt suggestion. Very helpful, as are all the other suggestions!
    Thanks!

Comments

comments

• Dale says:

i have also used panty hose as an emergency alternator belt as well….

Comments

comments

• mark cooper says:

I was given the idea back in the sixties by a very manly outdoor writer ,I was just a kid tending bar and he knew I was a hunter and fisherman, he confided in me that the pantyhose were always on during the cold weather .He also told me that If I ever let his buddies know I would never be found! great tip from a long gone old friend

Comments

comments

• Alan says:

I pull the foot over the front of a rifle scope to cut down on glare and avoid giving my position away.

Comments

comments

• Erika Rigling says:

Caught in the snow…had chains, but the rubber cords were missing.. Climbed in the car and removed my pantyhose. Tore up the panty seams…two pieces of legs….twisted them tight, put one on each chain on each tire…Got home safely… They are strong…and give enough just like the rubber cords would have.

Comments

comments

• J.A. Austin says:

This is the best thing I’ve ever read. Some fantastic ideas. Thank you.

Comments

comments

• Tundrapunk says:

Excellent suggestions all around. But I would like to challenge you on the bug protection. As a lady who regularly finds herself in the woods in high heels and hose, i can attest that the mosquitoes of the great Canadian North have iron proboscis and poke right through.

Comments

comments

• J.S. says:

I was thinking the same, I’ve been bitten by skeeters thru jeans so ….yeah

Comments

comments

• lisa millett says:

one of the things that i have used panty hose for was to hold the soap when we washed our hands you tie it to the faucet if you have one or to the handle of a jug used to wash your hands.

you put the bar of soap in the leg of a pair of nylons and voila soap on a rope survival style.

Comments

comments

• tom42 says:

Another use for pantyhose is to put fish heads and tails into, then twist them up tight over a bowl. the meat remaining on the fish parts squeezes out of the weave and no bones or scales.
    This is how they made gefilte fish years ago

Comments

comments

• Walter says:

Another use is as an emergency fan belt for a car. Push in the alternator. Twist the panty hose into a rope, tie tightly, then push out the alternator as far as possible. It will last 5-10 miles which should get you to the next gas station.

Comments

comments

• J.S. says:

Awesome ideas, thanks everyone… I will get a few pair for the car and the bob

Comments

comments

• Lauri says:

Female here. FYI pantyhose can save your ass if you happen to drive an older Volkswagen Beetle. I broke my drive belt on a stretch of highway late at night out in the middle of BFE, and just happened to be wearing a dress and hose that evening. I wrapped the hose around the two pulleys, tied it as tight as I could, and I made it into the next town babying it. Nothing beats a great pair of LEGGS, IMHO. I keep them around for other situations as well…tying loads when I forget my straps, etc. They don’t have to be top quality for some uses either. Go to your local dollar tree and grab some. You’ll be glad you did!

Comments

comments

• Anonymous says:

I wore pantyhose for two weeks in the field one winter, with insulated long underwear over them. Wind chill around -20 and my legs (and more important parts) took no notice. And nobody had a clue but my wife. Pretty comfortable except for the leg-hair pulling… Can’t say whether they helped with blisters or not because I didn’t do much hiking.

Comments

comments

• Ms Zip says:

You have the right idea when advising to use hose to prevent blisters, but you can’t cut them off at the ankles and expect them to stay up. You would need to leave whole or buy knee highs.

Comments

comments

• Kath says:

Tights are even better….stronger and warmer and they don’t run as easily. Thanks everyone for all the great tips, I hope to never need to use them.

Comments

comments

• Scott says:

I can’t beleive leaching is not listed in any of the comments here. Howm many wild edibles need to be boiled or leached to become edible or palatable? Acorns are edible but need to be leached or boiled to avoid an upset stomach. For this example, shell and crush the acorns then let them sit in a creek overnight, they will be better in the morning when made into cakes and cooked.
    Credit: Man Woman Wild when Ruth did this with her socks.

Comments

comments

• 0

[…] Use pantyhose to secure bait while fishing. Place bait in the pantyhose and secure it to a tree or anything sturdy in order to to keep from losing bait while fishing. […]

Comments

comments

• Amanda says:

Do not wear pantyhose against your skin to prevent blisters!!!!! It does not work! They are so ‘smooth’ they slide and rub causing extra heat, which is what causes blisters. Maybe between your socks and the shoe would be the right place to stop friction? Tried this once and we dealt with more blisters on that hike than we ever thought possible.

Comments

comments

• erin says:

nylon knee highs are good to use on your feet and as water strainers

Comments

comments

• WesTXGurl13 says:

If you wash and air-dry a pair of pantihose that have “runs” in the legs, you can cut many hairbands just from one leg. Snip across horizontally, 3/4″ to an inch wide, and you will have hairbands that don’t pull hair as badly as some elastic hairbands do.

Also, I saw this mentioned in the comments already, but use the same cutting method, but then cut through all the loops in one spot, and you have awesome ties for tying tomato plant branches to keep them from drooping and breaking! The pantihose material lasts through an entire gardening season, and has that little bit of “give” needed to keep from damaging the plants.

Love all the ideas! Keep ’em coming!

Comments

comments

• WesTXGurl13 says:

Sorry–meant “has” runs, not “have” runs.

Comments

comments

• Paul Henry says:

How are pantyhose used as a food dehydrator?

Comments

comments

• Rachel R. says:

As a woman, I think ALL of these are better purposes for pantyhose than their originally-intended purpose!

Comments

comments

• Susie says:

My dad worked outside 10-16 hr days . in the winter he wore pantyhose under his long johns. He also would cut the legs off knot where the hole was and wear them on his head under his hat. Kept him toasty. He did when hunting to.
    We as kids never thought anything about it.

Comments

comments

• Rosalee Cunningham says:

Great article on the different uses of panty hose. And any man afraid to go buy them has more issues than just pantyhose. But if you must, get your wife, girlfriend, sister or such to buy them for you. You’ll be glad you did.